Identification and partial characterization of two major proteins of Mr 47,000 synthesized by bovine retinal endothelial cells in culture.
AffiliationDepartment of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiosynthetic experiments with cultured bovine retinal endothelial cells have identified a glycoprotein of Mr 47,000 (Gp47) as a major component secreted into the medium. Gp47 is a non-collagenous glycoprotein with a pI of 4.6-5.5, which does not bind to either gelatin-Sepharose or heparin-Sepharose but is retained by concanavalin A-Sepharose. The Mr of this species decreases to approx. 42,000 in the presence of tunicamycin, indicating that it contains asparagine-linked oligosaccharides. A second protein of Mr 47,000 (P47) is present in the cell layer/matrix of these cultured cells. The electrophoretic mobility of P47 remains unaltered when synthesized in the presence of tunicamycin. Peptide-mapping experiments using N-chlorosuccinimide and Staphylococcus aureus V8 proteinase demonstrate that Gp47 and P47 are distinct proteins, and are not related to colligin, a membrane-bound collagen-receptor protein of similar size, or to SPARC, a major secreted product of parietal endodermal cells and sparse cultures of aortic endothelial cells.
CitationIdentification and partial characterization of two major proteins of Mr 47,000 synthesized by bovine retinal endothelial cells in culture. 1987, 246 (1):121-9 Biochem. J.
- The biosynthesis of extracellular-matrix components by bovine retinal endothelial cells displaying distinctive morphological phenotypes.
- Authors: Canfield AE, Schor AM, Schor SL, Grant ME
- Issue date: 1986 Apr 15
- Characterization of a novel gelatin-binding 21 kDa protein secreted by cultured adherent cells.
- Authors: Keski-Oja J, Laiho M, Vartio T
- Issue date: 1986 Jul 16
- Distinct patterns of glycosylation of colligin, a collagen-binding glycoprotein, and SPARC (osteonectin), a secreted Ca2+-binding glycoprotein. Evidence for the localisation of colligin in the endoplasmic reticulum.
- Authors: Hughes RC, Taylor A, Sage H, Hogan BL
- Issue date: 1987 Feb 16
- Characterization of a novel serum albumin-binding glycoprotein secreted by endothelial cells in culture.
- Authors: Sage H, Johnson C, Bornstein P
- Issue date: 1984 Mar 25
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-type I is a major biosynthetic product of retinal microvascular endothelial cells and pericytes in culture.
- Authors: Canfield AE, Schor AM, Loskutoff DJ, Schor SL, Grant ME
- Issue date: 1989 Apr 15