A randomized trial of two types of adjuvant chemotherapy in radiotherapy-treated patients with clinical stages I and II high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Todd, Ian D
Deakin, David P
Wilkinson, Peter M
Scarffe, J Howard
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper reports the 8-year results of comparing the use of two types of adjuvant chemotherapy following involved field radiotherapy for clinical stages I and II high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Twenty-four patients received 6 weeks of VAP plus 2 years of oral maintenance chemotherapy, and 30 had six cycles of CMOPP. Four patients were not in complete remission at completion of i.v. chemotherapy (CR rate 91%). Ten patients (18.5%) have relapsed (VAP/M = 5; CMOPP = 5), with only two of these remaining alive, both of them being disease free. There have been three deaths from intercurrent causes, one from malignant melanoma and the other two from myocardial infarction. The relapse-free survivals at 2, 5 and 8 years were 80%, 76% & 76% respectively. The overall survivals at the same time points were 86%, 72% & 68%. There were no significant differences in either relapse-free or overall survival for either of the two treatment groups. The shorter period of weekly intravenous chemotherapy (VAP/M) was better tolerated than 36 weeks of CMOPP, and the former appears to produce equivalent results.
CitationA randomized trial of two types of adjuvant chemotherapy in radiotherapy-treated patients with clinical stages I and II high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 1987, 20 (1):53-8 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Prospectively randomized clinical trial of three intensive chemotherapy regimens for the treatment of advanced unfavorable histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: O'Connell MJ, Harrington DP, Earle JD, Johnson GJ, Glick JH, Carbone PP, Creech RH, Neiman RS, Mann RB, Silverstein MN
- Issue date: 1987 Sep
- Rituximab: a review of its use in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Plosker GL, Figgitt DP
- Issue date: 2003
- MACOP-B versus ProMACE-MOPP in the treatment of advanced diffuse non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of a prospective randomized trial by the non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Cooperative Study Group.
- Authors: Sertoli MR, Santini G, Chisesi T, Congiu AM, Rubagotti A, Contu A, Salvagno L, Coser P, Porcellini A, Vespignani M
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- A third generation regimen VACOP-B with or without adjuvant radiotherapy for aggressive localized non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: report from the Italian Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Co-operative Study Group.
- Authors: Santini G, De Souza C, Aversa S, Patti C, Tedeschi L, Candela M, Olivieri A, Chisesi T, Rubagotti A, Centurioni R, Nardi V, Congiu M, Gennaro M, Truini M, Italian Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Co-operative Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Chemotherapy alone compared with chemotherapy plus radiotherapy for localized intermediate- and high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Miller TP, Dahlberg S, Cassady JR, Adelstein DJ, Spier CM, Grogan TM, LeBlanc M, Carlin S, Chase E, Fisher RI
- Issue date: 1998 Jul 2