DNA analysis by flow cytometry, response to endocrine treatment and prognosis in advanced carcinoma of the breast.
AuthorsBaildam, Andrew D
Barnes, Diana M
Sellwood, R A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe relationship between DNA content of mammary cancer and subsequent response to endocrine therapy was studied in 136 patients with advanced disease. All were treated with tamoxifen or ovarian ablation as first-line systemic therapy after relapse and were evaluable for response according to UICC criteria. DNA characterisation by flow cytometry was used on formalin fixed paraffin-embedded samples of tumour. Tumours were grouped according to DNA index into diploid (n = 52, 38%), 'tetraploid' (n = 46, 34%) and 'other DNA-aneuploid' (n = 38, 28%). The highest proportion of oestrogen receptor positive tumours (ER + ve) was found in the 'tetraploid' tumours (38/46, 85%, Chi-square = 8.53, P less than 0.02), and response rates, (SD + PR + CR), were 26/52 (50%), 34/46 (74%), and 15/38 (39%) respectively (Chi-square = 10.88, P less than 0.005). Patients with diploid or 'tetraploid' tumours survived longer and stayed in remission longer than those with 'other DNA-aneuploid' tumours. We suggest that 'tetraploid' or 'near tetraploid' human mammary tumours may comprise a distinct group of endocrine responsive tumours within the overall group of aneuploid tumours. The conventional interpretation of DNA histograms, grouping into diploid and aneuploid, may be masking important features of some tumour groups.
CitationDNA analysis by flow cytometry, response to endocrine treatment and prognosis in advanced carcinoma of the breast. 1987, 55 (5):553-9 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Effect of tamoxifen upon cell DNA analysis by flow cytometry in primary carcinoma of the breast.
- Authors: Baildam AD, Zaloudik J, Howell A, Barnes DM, Moore M, Sellwood RA
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Steroid receptor heterogeneity in relation to DNA index in breast cancer: a multiparameter flow cytometric approach on paraffin-embedded tumor samples.
- Authors: Leers MP, Nap M
- Issue date: 2001 Jul-Aug
- The influence of age on the DNA ploidy levels of breast tumours.
- Authors: Taylor IW, Musgrove EA, Friedlander ML, Foo MS, Hedley DW
- Issue date: 1983 May
- Pure and mixed mucinous breast carcinomas: DNA stemline and prognosis.
- Authors: Toikkanen S, Eerola E, Ekfors TO
- Issue date: 1988 Mar
- Nuclear DNA content in breast carcinomas with neuroendocrine differentiation.
- Authors: Nesland JM, Pettersen EO, Fosså SD, Høie J, Johannessen JV
- Issue date: 1986 Nov