Epstein-Barr virus-specific transcription in normal and malignant nasopharyngeal biopsies and in lymphocytes from healthy donors and infectious mononucleosis patients.
AuthorsTugwood, Jonathan D
Lau, W H
O, S K
Tsao, S Y
Martin, W M
Jones, Philip H
Arrand, John R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCytoplasmic RNA was prepared from biopsy material obtained from the nasopharynx of normal individuals and nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) patients. Similar RNA preparations were prepared from lymphocytes of healthy donors and infectious mononucleosis patients. RNA was radioactively labelled in vitro and hybridized to cloned fragments of B95-8 Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). In all seropositive cases the minimum pattern of EBV-specific RNA expression was like that observed previously in latently infected, EBV-positive lymphoblastoid cell lines or Burkitt's lymphoma biopsies. A novel observation was that all of the control biopsies from normal nasopharynxes expressed EBV-specific RNA, some of which appeared to be associated with a more active state of EBV infection. The pattern of expression in NPC patients was similar to that of the normal donors but showed some variations in complexity. In general the virus-specified small RNAs were not present in normal nasopharyngeal tissue but were expressed in the NPC biopsies.
CitationEpstein-Barr virus-specific transcription in normal and malignant nasopharyngeal biopsies and in lymphocytes from healthy donors and infectious mononucleosis patients. 1987, 68 ( Pt 4):1081-91 J. Gen. Virol.
JournalJournal of General Virology
- Analysis of Epstein-Barr virus infection in nasopharyngeal biopsies from a group at high risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Sam CK, Brooks LA, Niedobitek G, Young LS, Prasad U, Rickinson AB
- Issue date: 1993 Apr 1
- Epstein-Barr virus in oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal secretions of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma and control subjects.
- Authors: Tsao SY, He Y, Cheng PM, Ho S, Leung SF, Chang RS
- Issue date: 1991
- Benign and malignant disease caused by EBV.
- Authors: Wolf H, Seibl R
- Issue date: 1984 Jul
- Burkitt's lymphoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, infectious mononucleosis and the Epstein-Barr virus.
- Authors: Strauss M
- Issue date: 1972 Nov
- The role of methylation in the phenotype-dependent modulation of Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 2 and latent membrane protein genes in cells latently infected with Epstein-Barr virus.
- Authors: Ernberg I, Falk K, Minarovits J, Busson P, Tursz T, Masucci MG, Klein G
- Issue date: 1989 Nov