AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe isolated membranes of cells from normal kidneys, foetal kidneys, Wilms' tumours, and bone-metastasizing renal tumours of childhood (BMRTC) have been examined by electron spin resonance, using the lipophilic spin label 5-doxyl stearic acid. No differences in membrane rigidity were detected between normal kidney cells and Wilms' tumour cells, over the temperature range 5 to 40 degrees C. The membranes of foetal kidney cells showed no significant difference at physiological temperatures, but were more rigid than the membranes of normal kidney cells at lower temperatures. In contrast, BMRTC cells showed lower membrane rigidity than normal kidney cells at all temperatures studied, BMRTC cells, unlike normal kidney and Wilms' tumour cells, lack surface fibronectin, but addition of fibronectin to BMRTC cell membranes, in suspension, had no detectable effect on their rigidity.
CitationAn ESR spin label study of childhood kidney tumours., 7 (4B):761-4 Anticancer Res.
- Nuclear accumulation of beta-catenin protein in Wilms' tumours.
- Authors: Koesters R, Niggli F, von Knebel Doeberitz M, Stallmach T
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Study of childhood renal tumours using antisera to fibronectin, laminin, and epithelial membrane antigen.
- Authors: Kumar S, Carr T, Marsden HB, Calabuig-Crespo MC
- Issue date: 1986 Jan
- Childhood kidney tumours: in vitro studies and natural history.
- Authors: Kumar S, Marsden HB, Calabuig MC
- Issue date: 1984
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor targets endothelial and epithelial cells in Wilms' tumor.
- Authors: Abramson LP, Browne M, Stellmach V, Doll J, Cornwell M, Reynolds M, Arensman RM, Crawford SE
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Expression and localization of HGF and met in Wilms' tumours.
- Authors: Alami J, Williams BR, Yeger H
- Issue date: 2002 Jan