A phase I study of recombinant interferon gamma administered by s.c. injection three times per week in patients with solid tumours.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman recombinant DNA interferon gamma (IFN-G), with a specific activity of 2 X 10(6) IU/mg protein, was administered s.c. 3 days per week for 2 months to patients with solid tumors. The maximum tolerated dose (MTD) was 10 X 10(6) IU/m2 (5.0 mg/m2) per injection, and six patients were treated at the MTD. Two of these ceased treatment because of severe subjective toxicity (headache, rigors and pyrexia) and three patients developed WHO grade 3 leucopenia. Subjective toxicity varied considerably between patients and some patients at low dose levels experienced severe constitutional symptoms whilst others treated at the MTD had few side effects. These differences were unrelated to pharmacokinetic parameters. Bioavailability of this IFN-G administered s.c. was very variable from one patient to another at the same dose level. We therefore counsel caution in using this IFN-G preparation s.c. in phase II studies.
CitationA phase I study of recombinant interferon gamma administered by s.c. injection three times per week in patients with solid tumours. 1987, 25 (1):54-8 Cancer Immunol. Immunother.
JournalCancer Immunology, Immunotherapy
- Subcutaneous recombinant gamma interferon in cancer patients: toxicity, pharmacokinetics, and immunomodulatory effects.
- Authors: Thompson JA, Cox WW, Lindgren CG, Collins C, Neraas KA, Bonnem EM, Fefer A
- Issue date: 1987
- A phase I clinical trial of recombinant DNA gamma interferon.
- Authors: Brown TD, Koeller J, Beougher K, Golando J, Bonnem EM, Spiegel RJ, Von Hoff DD
- Issue date: 1987 May
- A toxicity study of recombinant interferon-gamma given by intravenous infusion to patients with advanced cancer.
- Authors: Sriskandan K, Garner P, Watkinson J, Pettingale KW, Brinkley D, Calman FM, Tee DE
- Issue date: 1986
- A phase I study of recombinant interferon-beta in patients with advanced malignant disease.
- Authors: Ravandi F, Estrov Z, Kurzrock R, Breitmeyer JB, Maschek BJ, Talpaz M
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- A phase I trial of recombinant human gamma interferon (IFN-gamma 4A) in patients with advanced malignancy.
- Authors: Perez R, Lipton A, Harvey HA, Simmonds MA, Romano PJ, Imboden SL, Giudice G, Downing MR, Alton NK
- Issue date: 1988 Jun