AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRetrospective analysis of 2870 patients with invasive carcinoma of the cervix treated by radiotherapy from 1971 to 1978 showed that the prognosis for younger patients (defined as either under 35 or under 40) was better than that for older age groups, but young patients presented with earlier disease. When the effect of stage on prognosis was also considered the improved survival of patients under 35 was confirmed, although the result was of only borderline significance. The better survival of younger patients was particularly noticeable for stage IB disease, the corrected five year survival of those under 35 being 93% compared with 79% for those over 35. On the basis of this analysis and a review of previous reports it is concluded that age alone is a poor indicator of prognosis and should not be used as an indication for adjuvant treatment. There is no evidence in this series of an aggressive form of cervical carcinoma in younger patients during the 1970s.
CitationCervical carcinoma: prognosis in younger patients. 1987, 295 (6593):300-3 Br Med J (Clin Res Ed)
JournalBritish medical journal (Clinical research ed.)
- Younger age as a bad prognostic factor in patients with carcinoma of the cervix.
- Authors: Delaloye JF, Pampallona S, Coucke PA, De Grandi P
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- Increasing age predicts poor cervical cancer prognosis with subsequent effect on treatment and overall survival.
- Authors: Quinn BA, Deng X, Colton A, Bandyopadhyay D, Carter JS, Fields EC
- Issue date: 2019 Jan - Feb
- [Results of different postoperative adjuvant therapies for stage Ib-IIa cervical carcinoma with risk factors].
- Authors: Wen HW, Huang WP, Liu TY, Ma K, Tao X, Zhu LR, Liao QP
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Survival of younger cervical carcinoma patients treated by radical radiotherapy in the west of Scotland 1964-1984.
- Authors: Junor EJ, Symonds RP, Watson ER, Lamont DW
- Issue date: 1989 May
- [The value of adjuvant irradiation in lymphatic vessel invasion in patients with a cervical carcinoma in histopathological stage Ib and with negative lymph nodes].
- Authors: Vavra N, Sevelda P, Seifert M, Timar J, Kudielka I, Kucera H
- Issue date: 1992 Sep