Fibroblasts from relatives of patients with hereditary breast cancer show fetal-like behaviour in vitro.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFetal and normal adult skin fibroblasts show distinctive migratory behaviour when plated on three-dimensional collagen gels. Skin fibroblasts from 13 of 15 patients with hereditary breast cancer showed fetal-like behaviour compared with only 1 of 12 age-matched healthy controls (p less than 0.015; Wilcoxon signed-rank matched-pairs test). In addition, 10 of 15 first-degree relatives of patients with hereditary breast cancer showed a fetal-like fibroblast phenotype, compared with none of 7 surgical controls (p less than 0.009; chi 2 test). These results suggest that abnormalities expressed by skin fibroblasts may help identify people at increased risk of breast cancer developing.
CitationFibroblasts from relatives of patients with hereditary breast cancer show fetal-like behaviour in vitro. 1987, 1 (8548):1455-7 Lancet
- Occurrence of a fetal fibroblast phenotype in familial breast cancer.
- Authors: Schor SL, Haggie JA, Durning P, Howell A, Smith L, Sellwood RA, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1986 Jun 15
- Inter- and intra-site heterogeneity in the expression of fetal-like phenotypic characteristics by gingival fibroblasts: potential significance for wound healing.
- Authors: Irwin CR, Picardo M, Ellis I, Sloan P, Grey A, McGurk M, Schor SL
- Issue date: 1994 May
- Heterogeneity amongst fibroblasts in the production of migration stimulating factor (MSF): implications for cancer pathogenesis.
- Authors: Schor SL, Grey AM, Picardo M, Schor AM, Howell A, Ellis I, Rushton G
- Issue date: 1991
- Foetal-to-adult transitions in fibroblast phenotype: their possible relevance to the pathogenesis of cancer.
- Authors: Schor SL, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1987
- Skin fibroblasts obtained from cancer patients display foetal-like migratory behaviour on collagen gels.
- Authors: Schor SL, Schor AM, Durning P, Rushton G
- Issue date: 1985 Feb