Geometry adopted by Manchester radium applicators and Selectron afterloading applicators in intracavitary treatment for carcinoma cervix uteri.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty-eight patients with early-stage carcinoma of the uterine cervix were treated using one standard Manchester radium application and one afterloading Selectron application. In each case, radiographs were analysed to determine differences in geometry of applicators relative to each other, or to the bony pelvis. During the Selectron treatment the applicators lay significantly more anterior in the pelvis, with a reduced angulation between the axes of the uterus and the vagina. The separation between the ovoids was increased. An identical analysis of 25 patients who had received two radium applications showed that the uterine tube lay significantly more anterior in the pelvis during the second application. Reasons for these differences and their possible clinical importance in terms of increased dose rate to critical tissue are discussed.
CitationGeometry adopted by Manchester radium applicators and Selectron afterloading applicators in intracavitary treatment for carcinoma cervix uteri. 1987, 60 (713):481-5 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- The use of Selectron afterloading equipment to simulate and extend the Manchester System for intracavitary therapy of the cervix uteri.
- Authors: Wilkinson JM, Moore CJ, Notley HM, Hunter RD
- Issue date: 1983 Jun
- Influence of brachytherapy applicators geometry on dose distribution in cervical cancer.
- Authors: Senkus-Konefka E, Kobierska A, Jassem J, Serkies K, Badzio A
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- [Optimization of dose distribution in combined irradiation of uterine cervix cancer with gamma-ray cesium-137 and X-9 MeV].
- Authors: Lewocki M
- Issue date: 1996
- [The intracavity radiotherapy of cervical carcinoma with flexible applicators following the vesicovaginal interposition of the uterus].
- Authors: Busch M 2nd, Burmester U, Matthaei D, Meden H, Dühmke E, Kuhn K
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Patient-related factors determining geometry of intracavitary applicators and pelvic dose distribution during cervical cancer brachytherapy.
- Authors: Senkus-Konefka E, Kobierska A, Jassem J, Badzio A
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 1