AffiliationUniversity of Manchester, Department of Epidemiology and Social Oncology, Christie Hospital, Withington, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is sponsoring a worldwide study of childhood cancer incidence. Cancers in children are highly specific and differ in many ways from cancers found in adults. Data for the international study will be presented according to the classification scheme described below which has been devised specifically for use with paediatric cancers. The features of this scheme are: (1) it is based on the International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-O); (2) diagnostic groups are defined mainly in terms of morphology; (3) the common types of childhood cancer are individually specified; (4) certain other rare conditions of interest are distinguished; (5) it provides for flexibility of data presentation with respect to amount of detail; (6) all possible combinations of ICD-O morphology and topography codes are included; and (7) the maximum number of codes has been allocated to specific categories. There is a great need for standardization in the classification of childhood cancers and we propose that the scheme be used for presentation of incidence data for results of aetiological and other related studies of cancer in children.
CitationA classification scheme for childhood cancer. 1987, 40 (5):620-4 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Italian cancer figures, report 2012: Cancer in children and adolescents.
- Authors: AIRTUM Working Group., CCM., AIEOP Working Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jan-Feb
- Italian cancer figures--Report 2015: The burden of rare cancers in Italy.
- Authors: AIRTUM Working Group., Busco S, Buzzoni C, Mallone S, Trama A, Castaing M, Bella F, Amodio R, Bizzoco S, Cassetti T, Cirilli C, Cusimano R, De Angelis R, Fusco M, Gatta G, Gennaro V, Giacomin A, Giorgi Rossi P, Mangone L, Mannino S, Rossi S, Pierannunzio D, Tavilla A, Tognazzo S, Tumino R, Vicentini M, Vitale MF, Crocetti E, Dal Maso L
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Feb
- The international classification of childhood cancer.
- Authors: Kramárová E, Stiller CA
- Issue date: 1996 Dec 11
- International Classification of Childhood Cancer, third edition.
- Authors: Steliarova-Foucher E, Stiller C, Lacour B, Kaatsch P
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Incidence of childhood cancer in Denmark 1943-1984.
- Authors: de Nully Brown P, Hertz H, Olsen JH, Yssing M, Scheibel E, Jensen OM
- Issue date: 1989 Sep