AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, The Christie, NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFocal incidental renal lesions are commonly encountered on positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) imaging. The vast majority of these lesions are benign. However, the interpretation of renal lesions can be problematic if the imaging criteria of simple cysts are not met. Limited literature exists on the characterisation of renal masses with metabolic imaging. The purpose of this article is to focus on the imaging features of benign and malignant renal masses with PET/CT. The lesions discussed include renal cyst, angiomyolipoma, oncocytoma, renal cell carcinoma, renal metastases and other infiltrating neoplastic processes affecting the kidney. Both the anatomical and metabolic features which characterise these benign and malignant entities are described. We emphasise the importance of viewing the CT component to identify the typical morphological features and discuss how to best use hybrid imaging for management of renal lesions. Metabolic imaging has a promising role in the imaging of renal lesions and can help prevent unnecessary biopsies and ensure optimal management of suspicious lesions.
CitationRole of FDG PET/CT in imaging of renal lesions. 2010, 54 (4):347-57 J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol
JournalJournal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology
- 18F-FDG PET/CT evaluation of lymphoma with renal involvement: comparison with renal carcinoma.
- Authors: Ye XH, Chen LH, Wu HB, Feng J, Zhou WL, Yang RM, Bu ZB, Ding Y, Guan J, Wang QS
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Incidental detection of renal transplantation urinary leakage on FDG-PET/CT imaging for evaluation of lung metastases.
- Authors: Banzo I, Martinez-Rodriguez I, Quirce R, Jimenez-Bonilla J, Sainz-Esteban A, Barragán J, Portilla-Quattocciochi H, Medina-Quiroz P, Carril JM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- The CT and F-FDG PET/CT appearance of primary renal malignant fibrous histiocytoma.
- Authors: Hwang SS, Park SY, Park YH
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Imaging and management of the incidentally discovered renal mass.
- Authors: Willatt J, Francis IR
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 2
- Meta-analysis of the diagnostic performance of [18F]FDG-PET and PET/CT in renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Wang HY, Ding HJ, Chen JH, Chao CH, Lu YY, Lin WY, Kao CH
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 26