A phase I trial of lomeguatrib and irinotecan in metastatic colorectal cancer.
Corrie, P G
Midgley, R S
Watson, A J
Margison, Geoffrey P
Middleton, M R
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Churchill Hospital, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Expression of the DNA repair protein O (6)-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) correlates with resistance to irinotecan in colorectal cancer cell lines. This phase I study evaluated the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of lomeguatrib, an inactivating pseudosubstrate of MGMT, in combination with irinotecan in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer and assessed the safety, toxicity and clinical pharmacology of combination treatment. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with metastatic colorectal cancer received lomeguatrib (10-80 mg PO) on days 1-5 with irinotecan (250-350 mg/m(2) IV) on day 4 of a 21-day cycle. RESULTS: Twenty-four patients, pre-treated with a median of 2 lines of chemotherapy, received 104 cycles of treatment. The MTD was defined as 80 mg/day lomeguatrib with 300 mg/m(2) irinotecan. The main toxicities observed were neutropaenia and diarrhoea. Lomeguatrib of 80 mg/day produced complete MGMT depletion in all available peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and paired tumour biopsies (one patient). There was no pharmacokinetic interaction between the drugs. In 22 patients assessable for tumour response, one achieved a partial response and 16 had stable disease. CONCLUSION: This study defined a tolerable dose of irinotecan in combination with lomeguatrib in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Combination treatment gave a similar response rate to irinotecan monotherapy in this heavily pre-treated patient group.
CitationA phase I trial of lomeguatrib and irinotecan in metastatic colorectal cancer. 2010, 66 (5):829-35 Cancer Chemother Pharmacol
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- A phase II trial of lomeguatrib and temozolomide in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Khan OA, Ranson M, Michael M, Olver I, Levitt NC, Mortimer P, Watson AJ, Margison GP, Midgley R, Middleton MR
- Issue date: 2008 May 20
- Lomeguatrib, a potent inhibitor of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase: phase I safety, pharmacodynamic, and pharmacokinetic trial and evaluation in combination with temozolomide in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Authors: Ranson M, Middleton MR, Bridgewater J, Lee SM, Dawson M, Jowle D, Halbert G, Waller S, McGrath H, Gumbrell L, McElhinney RS, Donnelly D, McMurry TB, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- Inhibition of DNA repair with MGMT pseudosubstrates: phase I study of lomeguatrib in combination with dacarbazine in patients with advanced melanoma and other solid tumours.
- Authors: Tawbi HA, Villaruz L, Tarhini A, Moschos S, Sulecki M, Viverette F, Shipe-Spotloe J, Radkowski R, Kirkwood JM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 6
- Phase I dose-escalation trial of irinotecan with continuous infusion 5-FU first line, in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Saunders MP, Hogg M, Carrington B, Sjursen AM, Allen J, Beech J, Swindell R, Valle JW
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 18
- A phase I/II study of irinotecan when added to 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin and pelvic radiation in locally advanced rectal cancer: a Colorectal Clinical Oncology Group Study.
- Authors: Glynne-Jones R, Falk S, Maughan TS, Meadows HM, Sebag-Montefiore D
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 26