A randomized comparison of tamoxifen with surgical oophorectomy in premenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer.
AuthorsBuchanan, R B
Blamey, R W
Durrant, K R
Paterson, A G
Preece, P E
Smith, David B
Williams, C J
Wilson, R G
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe randomized 122 premenopausal women to receive tamoxifen or to undergo a surgical oophorectomy. Of 54 evaluable women treated with tamoxifen, 24% had an objective response, as compared with 21% of 53 women having an oophorectomy. The median duration of response for tamoxifen (20 months) was longer than that for surgical oophorectomy (7 months), but this did not achieve statistical significance (P = .056). Overall median survival was 15 months for 58 patients receiving tamoxifen and 25 months for 53 patients undergoing oophorectomy (P = .18). Toxicity was greater in those undergoing oophorectomy, though both treatments were well tolerated. In those premenopausal women for whom hormonal therapy is indicated, tamoxifen is a suitable alternative to surgical oophorectomy.
CitationA randomized comparison of tamoxifen with surgical oophorectomy in premenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer. 1986, 4 (9):1326-30 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Randomized trial of bilateral oophorectomy versus tamoxifen in premenopausal women with metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Ingle JN, Krook JE, Green SJ, Kubista TP, Everson LK, Ahmann DL, Chang MN, Bisel HF, Windschitl HE, Twito DI
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- Symptoms associated with oophorectomy and tamoxifen treatment for breast cancer in premenopausal Vietnamese women.
- Authors: Love RR, Nguyen BD, Nguyen CB, Nguyen VD, Havighurst TC
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials.
- Authors: Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group (EBCTCG).
- Issue date: 2005 May 14-20
- Tamoxifen in premenopausal patients with metastatic breast cancer: a review.
- Authors: Sunderland MC, Osborne CK
- Issue date: 1991 Jul
- Adjuvant Surgical Oophorectomy Plus Tamoxifen in Premenopausal Women With Operable Hormone Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer: A Global Treatment Option.
- Authors: Love RR
- Issue date: 2016 Aug