Treatment for advanced cervical cancer: Impact on quality of life.
AuthorsDavidson, Susan E
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCisplatin-based combinations can potentially improve response rates in patients with cervical cancer, but unacceptable toxicity must be avoided. Quality of life (QoL) measures are increasingly used to assess the benefits versus limitations of chemotherapy regimens. A MEDLINE search of English language publications from January 2000 to December 2008 was conducted using the search terms: 'quality of life' OR 'QoL' OR 'HRQoL' AND 'cervical cancer'. Abstracts from the Association of Clinical Oncology meeting, 2008, were also searched. Article inclusion was based on abstract content. Several cervical cancer therapies have shown response rate improvements in combination with cisplatin, including topotecan and paclitaxel. However, only topotecan/cisplatin demonstrates a significant overall survival advantage over cisplatin monotherapy, while both topotecan/cisplatin and paclitaxel/cisplatin demonstrate comparable impact on QoL to cisplatin alone. Few trials of combination chemotherapy for cervical cancer have directly assessed QoL. The combination of topotecan/cisplatin significantly increases overall survival rates without reducing patient QoL.
CitationTreatment for advanced cervical cancer: Impact on quality of life. 2010: Crit Rev Oncol Hematol
JournalCritical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology
- Quality of life outcomes from a randomized phase III trial of cisplatin with or without topotecan in advanced carcinoma of the cervix: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Authors: Monk BJ, Huang HQ, Cella D, Long HJ 3rd, Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 20
- Quality of life (QOL) outcomes from a randomized trial of cisplatin versus cisplatin plus paclitaxel in advanced cervical cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.
- Authors: McQuellon RP, Thaler HT, Cella D, Moore DH
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Randomized phase III trial of cisplatin with or without topotecan in carcinoma of the uterine cervix: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Authors: Long HJ 3rd, Bundy BN, Grendys EC Jr, Benda JA, McMeekin DS, Sorosky J, Miller DS, Eaton LA, Fiorica JV, Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 20
- Chemotherapy for recurrent cervical cancer.
- Authors: Pectasides D, Kamposioras K, Papaxoinis G, Pectasides E
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Chemotherapy for recurrent cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Moore DH
- Issue date: 2006 Sep