Detection of ras gene alterations and ras proteins in colorectal cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA extracted from 31 primary colorectal carcinomas was analyzed for the presence of ras gene amplification and mutations. Nine carcinomas had Ha-ras amplification and seven Ki-ras amplification. Nine carcinomas had codon 12 Ki-ras mutations. Immunohistochemical staining for ras proteins revealed a normal membrane association in normal mucosa and benign polyps but an abnormal cytoplasmic distribution in carcinomas. Amplification, mutations, and immunohistochemical staining were independent of histologic differentiation, Dukes' stage, or DNA ploidy status. This study demonstrates that abnormalities of ras genes are a common finding in colorectal carcinomas. They are potentially important biologic changes associated with malignancy, although they do not appear to be related to clinical behavior.
CitationDetection of ras gene alterations and ras proteins in colorectal cancer. 1989, 32 (8):659-64 Dis. Colon Rectum
JournalDiseases of the Colon and Rectum
- Heterogeneity of mutant versus wild-type Ki-ras in primary and metastatic colorectal carcinomas, and association of codon-12 valine with early mortality.
- Authors: Al-Mulla F, Going JJ, Sowden ET, Winter A, Pickford IR, Birnie GD
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Independent prognostic value of ploidy in colorectal cancer. A prospective study using image cytometry.
- Authors: Albe X, Vassilakos P, Helfer-Guarnori K, Givel JC, de Quay N, Suardet L, Eliason JF, Odartchenko N
- Issue date: 1990 Sep 15
- Concurrent mutations of coding and regulatory sequences of the Ha-ras gene in urinary bladder carcinomas.
- Authors: Czerniak B, Cohen GL, Etkind P, Deitch D, Simmons H, Herz F, Koss LG
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- ras p21 expression in relation to DNA ploidy, S-phase fraction and prognosis in colorectal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Sun XF, Wingren S, Carstensen JM, Stål O, Hatschek T, Boeryd B, Nordenskjöld B, Zhang H
- Issue date: 1991
- Colorectal cancer. Dukes' stage, tumor site, preoperative plasma CEA level, and patient prognosis related to tumor DNA ploidy pattern.
- Authors: Scott NA, Wieand HS, Moertel CG, Cha SS, Beart RW, Lieber MM
- Issue date: 1987 Dec