PIP4Kbeta interacts with and modulates nuclear localization of the high-activity PtdIns5P-4-kinase isoform PIP4Kalpha.
AffiliationCRUK Inositide Laboratory, the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe beta-isoform of PIP4K (PtdIns5P-4-kinase) regulates the levels of nuclear PtdIns5P, which in turn modulates the acetylation of the tumour suppressor p53. The crystal structure of PIP4Kbeta demonstrated that it can form a homodimer with the two subunits arranged in opposite orientations. Using MS, isoform-specific antibodies against PIP4Ks, RNAi (RNA interference) suppression and overexpression studies, we show that PIP4Kbeta interacts in vitro and in vivo with the PIP4Kalpha isoform. As the two isoforms phosphorylate the same substrate to generate the same product, the interaction could be considered to be functionally redundant. However, contrary to expectation, we find that PIP4Kbeta has 2000-fold less activity towards PtdIns5P compared with PIP4Kalpha, and that the majority of PIP4K activity associated with PIP4Kbeta comes from its interaction with PIP4Kalpha. Furthermore, PIP4Kbeta can modulate the nuclear localization of PIP4Kalpha, and PIP4Kalpha has a role in regulating PIP4Kbeta functions. The results of the present study suggest a rationale for the functional interaction between PIP4Kalpha and PIP4Kbeta and provide insight into how the relative levels of the two enzymes may be important in their physiological and pathological roles.
CitationPIP4Kbeta interacts with and modulates nuclear localization of the high-activity PtdIns5P-4-kinase isoform PIP4Kalpha. 2010, 430 (2):223-35 Biochem J
JournalThe Biochemical Journal
- Localization of phosphatidylinositol phosphate kinase IIgamma in kidney to a membrane trafficking compartment within specialized cells of the nephron.
- Authors: Clarke JH, Emson PC, Irvine RF
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Nuclear PtdIns5P as a transducer of stress signaling: an in vivo role for PIP4Kbeta.
- Authors: Jones DR, Bultsma Y, Keune WJ, Halstead JR, Elouarrat D, Mohammed S, Heck AJ, D'Santos CS, Divecha N
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 1
- PIP4K and the role of nuclear phosphoinositides in tumour suppression.
- Authors: Fiume R, Stijf-Bultsma Y, Shah ZH, Keune WJ, Jones DR, Jude JG, Divecha N
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Role of phosphatidylinositol 5-phosphate 4-kinase α in zebrafish development.
- Authors: Elouarrat D, van der Velden YU, Jones DR, Moolenaar WH, Divecha N, Haramis AP
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Genomic tagging reveals a random association of endogenous PtdIns5P 4-kinases IIalpha and IIbeta and a partial nuclear localization of the IIalpha isoform.
- Authors: Wang M, Bond NJ, Letcher AJ, Richardson JP, Lilley KS, Irvine RF, Clarke JH
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 1