Guidelines for the welfare and use of animals in cancer research.
Aboagye, E O
Chaplin, D J
Double, J A
Farningham, D A H
Glennie, M J
Kelland, L R
Stratford, I J
Tozer, G M
Wedge, S R
Eccles, S A
AffiliationCancer Research UK Centre for Cancer Therapeutics, The Institute of Cancer Research, Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK. Paul.Workman@icr.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnimal experiments remain essential to understand the fundamental mechanisms underpinning malignancy and to discover improved methods to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. Excellent standards of animal care are fully consistent with the conduct of high quality cancer research. Here we provide updated guidelines on the welfare and use of animals in cancer research. All experiments should incorporate the 3Rs: replacement, reduction and refinement. Focusing on animal welfare, we present recommendations on all aspects of cancer research, including: study design, statistics and pilot studies; choice of tumour models (e.g., genetically engineered, orthotopic and metastatic); therapy (including drugs and radiation); imaging (covering techniques, anaesthesia and restraint); humane endpoints (including tumour burden and site); and publication of best practice.
CitationGuidelines for the welfare and use of animals in cancer research. 2010, 102 (11):1555-77 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Of mice and men: the evolution of animal welfare guidelines for cancer research.
- Authors: Dey N, De P, Smith BR, Leyland-Jones B
- Issue date: 2010 May 25
- Opportunities for improving animal welfare in rodent models of epilepsy and seizures.
- Authors: Lidster K, Jefferys JG, Blümcke I, Crunelli V, Flecknell P, Frenguelli BG, Gray WP, Kaminski R, Pitkänen A, Ragan I, Shah M, Simonato M, Trevelyan A, Volk H, Walker M, Yates N, Prescott MJ
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 15
- Lab-animal battle reaches truce.
- Authors: Abbott A
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 15
- Introduction: mitigating risk, facilitating research.
- Authors: Bayne KA, Garnett NL
- Issue date: 2008
- Animal experimentation in Japan: regulatory processes and application for microbiological studies.
- Authors: Takahashi-Omoe H, Omoe K
- Issue date: 2007 Jul