Mechanistic studies on the photodegradation of 2,5-dialkyloxyl-substituted para-phenylenevinylene oligomers by singlet oxygen.
AuthorsBurrows, Hugh D
Monkman, Andrew P
AffiliationDepartamento de Química, Universidade de Coimbra, 304-535, Coimbra, Portugal. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTime-dependent UV/visible absorption changes are observed on photolysis of aerated solutions of monodisperse, vinyl end-capped 2,5-diheptyloxyl substituted PV-oligomers (OPV, n = 1, 2, 3). In all cases, photolysis occurs in at least two distinct stages. Evidence for the intermediacy of singlet oxygen comes from pulse radiolysis and time-resolved luminescence studies, which confirm formation of the OPV triplet state and its quenching by molecular oxygen to produce singlet oxygen. The subsequent reaction with oligomers is observed directly by time-resolved phosphorescence and indirectly through product identification. The results strongly suggest that the reaction between singlet oxygen and OPV proceeds via cycloaddition, leading to bond scission and aldehyde group formation. The reactivity of vinylene linkages is greater than of vinyl end groups. Consequently, the photostability decreases as the chain length is extended. Implications on the oxidative degradation of poly(p-phenylenevinylene)s in optoelectronic devices, and of competing singlet oxygen and superoxide radical anion degradation pathways, are discussed.
CitationMechanistic studies on the photodegradation of 2,5-dialkyloxyl-substituted para-phenylenevinylene oligomers by singlet oxygen. 2010, 9 (7):942-8 Photochem. Photobiol Sci
JournalPhotochemical & Photobiological Sciences
- Filter-filter interactions. Photostabilization, triplet quenching and reactivity with singlet oxygen.
- Authors: Lhiaubet-Vallet V, Marin M, Jimenez O, Gorchs O, Trullas C, Miranda MA
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Triplet- vs. singlet-state imposed photochemistry. The role of substituent effects on the photo-Fries and photodissociation reaction of triphenylmethyl silanes.
- Authors: Zarkadis AK, Georgakilas V, Perdikomatis GP, Trifonov A, Gurzadyan GG, Skoulika S, Siskos MG
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Methylene blue encapsulation in cucurbituril: laser flash photolysis and near-IR luminescence studies of the interaction with oxygen.
- Authors: González-Béjar M, Montes-Navajas P, García H, Scaiano JC
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 15
- Reactivity of cycloxydim toward singlet oxygen in solution and on wax film.
- Authors: Monadjemi S, Halle AT, Richard C
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Metal bacteriochlorins which act as dual singlet oxygen and superoxide generators.
- Authors: Fukuzumi S, Ohkubo K, Zheng X, Chen Y, Pandey RK, Zhan R, Kadish KM
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 6