A VMAT planning solution for prostate patients using a commercial treatment planning system.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. hristopher.Boylan@physics.cr.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVolumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) is a rotational delivery technique which offers the potential of improved dose distributions and shorter treatment times when compared to fixed-beam intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). This note describes the use of an existing treatment planning system (Philips Pinnacle(3) v.8.0), supplemented by in-house software, to produce a single-arc VMAT prostate plan. While a number of planning systems for the Elekta VMAT platform are commercially available, the use of an in-house solution has allowed more detailed investigations of VMAT planning, as well as greater control over the optimization process. The solution presented here begins with a static step-and-shoot IMRT approach to provide initial segment shapes, which are then modified and sequenced into 60 equally spaced control points in a 360 degrees arc. Dose-volume histogram comparisons demonstrate that this VMAT planning method offers multiple dose level target coverage comparable to that from a standard IMRT approach. The VMAT plans also show superior sparing of critical structures such as the rectum and bladder. Delivery times are reduced with the VMAT method, and the results of dosimetric verification, resilience and repeatability tests indicate that the solution is robust.
CitationA VMAT planning solution for prostate patients using a commercial treatment planning system. 2010, 55 (14):N395-404 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Comparison of anatomy-based, fluence-based and aperture-based treatment planning approaches for VMAT.
- Authors: Rao M, Cao D, Chen F, Ye J, Mehta V, Wong T, Shepard D
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 7
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy: planning and evaluation for prostate cancer cases.
- Authors: Zhang P, Happersett L, Hunt M, Jackson A, Zelefsky M, Mageras G
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Single Arc Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy of head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Bertelsen A, Hansen CR, Johansen J, Brink C
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Is a single arc sufficient in volumetric-modulated arc therapy (VMAT) for complex-shaped target volumes?
- Authors: Guckenberger M, Richter A, Krieger T, Wilbert J, Baier K, Flentje M
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) vs. serial tomotherapy, step-and-shoot IMRT and 3D-conformal RT for treatment of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Wolff D, Stieler F, Welzel G, Lorenz F, Abo-Madyan Y, Mai S, Herskind C, Polednik M, Steil V, Wenz F, Lohr F
- Issue date: 2009 Nov