Imaging in gastrointestinal stromal tumours: current status and future directions.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs) have distinct biological and treatment-related features posing challenges for imaging. In this review the importance of imaging in different stages of patient management is discussed, emphasizing the unique characteristics of GISTs. Potential pitfalls of using the standard response criteria on conventional imaging have been highlighted. These include size measurements, which may not adequately reflect response rates, pseudo-progression, and spurious new lesions. Furthermore, the role of positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) in early response evaluation and in the detection of both primary and acquired resistance is explored. The current role and future directions of use of both conventional and metabolic imaging in the management of GISTs are discussed.
CitationImaging in gastrointestinal stromal tumours: current status and future directions. 2010, 65 (8):584-92 Clin Radiol
- Imaging and clinicopathologic features of esophageal gastrointestinal stromal tumors.
- Authors: Winant AJ, Gollub MJ, Shia J, Antonescu C, Bains MS, Levine MS
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours: correlation of F-FDG gamma camera-based coincidence positron emission tomography with CT for the assessment of treatment response--an AGITG study.
- Authors: Goldstein D, Tan BS, Rossleigh M, Haindl W, Walker B, Dixon J
- Issue date: 2005
- Correlation of computed tomography and positron emission tomography in patients with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated at a single institution with imatinib mesylate: proposal of new computed tomography response criteria.
- Authors: Choi H, Charnsangavej C, Faria SC, Macapinlac HA, Burgess MA, Patel SR, Chen LL, Podoloff DA, Benjamin RS
- Issue date: 2007 May 1
- Response evaluation of gastrointestinal stromal tumors.
- Authors: Choi H
- Issue date: 2008
- Promises and challenges of positron emission tomography for assessment of sarcoma in daily clinical practice.
- Authors: van de Luijtgaarden AC, de Rooy JW, de Geus-Oei LF, van der Graaf WT, Oyen WJ
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 4