AuthorsDouglas, Catriona Mairi
Lorigan, Paul C
Slevin, Nicholas J
Homer, Jarrod J
AffiliationDepartment of Head and Neck Surgery, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Head and neck mucosal melanoma (MuM) is rare, comprising < 1% of all melanomas in Western Europe. METHODS: A retrospective analysis of case records of patients treated between 1965 and 2001 was carried out. (Survival outcomes were obtained from the case notes and cancer registry.) The median age of the 68 patients was 63 years (range 29-86 years). Thirty-nine percent were male, and 61% were female. (The minimum follow-up time was 15 months.) The two most common primary sites were the sinonasal complex (65%) and oral cavity (19%). Twenty-one percent of patients presented with metastases (nodal or distant). Fifty-five patients were treated with curative intent: 30 patients with primary radiotherapy and 25 patients with surgery +/- postoperative radiotherapy. RESULTS: The overall survival was 22% at 5 years, and the cancer-specific survival was 32% at 5 years. CONCLUSION: MuM has a poor overall prognosis. Poor prognostic indicators are site at presentation and presentation with metastasis. This series is unique in that a significant proportion of patients were given primary radiotherapy as definitive treatment. Surgery may have advantages, particularly for oral cavity MuM. In contrast to previous reports, definitive radiotherapy is worthy of consideration as curative treatment.
CitationMucosal melanoma of the head and neck: radiotherapy or surgery? 2010, 39 (4):385-92 J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg
JournalJournal of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- Primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. Comparison of clinical presentation and histopathologic features of oral and sinonasal melanoma.
- Authors: McLean N, Tighiouart M, Muller S
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Clinics, prognosis and new therapeutic options in patients with mucosal melanoma: A retrospective analysis of 75 patients.
- Authors: Schaefer T, Satzger I, Gutzmer R
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Postoperative radiotherapy for primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Temam S, Mamelle G, Marandas P, Wibault P, Avril MF, Janot F, Julieron M, Schwaab G, Luboinski B
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 15
- Mucosal melanoma of the upper airways tract mucosal melanoma: A systematic review with meta-analyses of treatment.
- Authors: Jarrom D, Paleri V, Kerawala C, Roques T, Bhide S, Newman L, Winter SC
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Head and neck mucosal melanoma: clinicopathological analysis of 51 cases treated in a single cancer centre and review of the literature.
- Authors: Francisco AL, Furlan MV, Peresi PM, Nishimoto IN, Lourenço SV, Pinto CA, Kowalski LP, Ikeda MK
- Issue date: 2016 Feb