Retrospective study of radiotherapy in early carcinoma of the prostate.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring the years 1978 to 1983 there was a 10-fold increase in the number of patients with T1-T4 NX M0 carcinoma of the prostate referred to the Christie Hospital for radical radiotherapy. A retrospective survey of 170 patients treated during this period showed an overall age-corrected 5-year survival rate of 49%. The survival of patients in whom referral for radiotherapy had been delayed was 37% compared with 56% for those given immediate treatment. Patients with poorly differentiated tumours had a significantly reduced survival compared with those with well differentiated tumours. The overall complication rate from radiotherapy was 4% and this low rate is attributed to the small volume used uniformly for treatment.
CitationRetrospective study of radiotherapy in early carcinoma of the prostate. 1989, 63 (2):191-5 Br J Urol
JournalBritish Journal of Urology
- [Radiotherapy of localized prostatic carcinoma].
- Authors: Gez E, Netzer-Horowitz Y, Waiman E, Rubinov R, Cohen Y, Kuten A
- Issue date: 1997 Dec 15
- Radical radiotherapy in prostatic carcinoma.
- Authors: Nilsson I, Lindholm CE, Landberg T, Abrahamsson PA, Sundkvist L, Lindholm K
- Issue date: 1989
- Advanced prostate cancer: the results of a randomized comparative trial of high dose irradiation boosting with conformal protons compared with conventional dose irradiation using photons alone.
- Authors: Shipley WU, Verhey LJ, Munzenrider JE, Suit HD, Urie MM, McManus PL, Young RH, Shipley JW, Zietman AL, Biggs PJ
- Issue date: 1995 Apr 30
- Long-term outcome of radical radiation therapy for prostatic carcinoma: 1967-1987.
- Authors: Hahn P, Baral E, Cheang M, Math MC, Kostyra J, Roelss R
- Issue date: 1996 Jan 1
- [Prognostic factors in prostatic carcinoma treated with radical radiotherapy: stages A, B, and C].
- Authors: Rodríguez Villalba S, Magallón Sebastián R, Regueiro Otero C, Rodríguez Reina G, Romero Fernández J, Carballido Rodríguez J, De la Torre Tomás A, Aragón de la Cruz G
- Issue date: 1996 Apr