Residual haemopoietic damage in the mouse after fractionated gamma-irradiation, down to 0.1 Gy per fraction.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiobiology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResidual damage in haemopoietic progenitor cell populations, spleen and granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming cells (CFU-S and GM-CFC) was detected in mice after 15 daily fractions where the dose per fraction was as low as 0.1 Gy. The injury was dose-dependent and after higher total fractionated doses of 7.5-10 Gy the CFU-S population recovered to about 50% of control between 2 and 12 months after irradiation. Residual damage was also detected in the stroma, in the form of reduced numbers of fibroblastoid colony-forming cells and of CFU-S in ossicles under the kidney capsule. The response to a second course of 15 fractions, given 3 weeks after the end of the first course, was similar and additive to the response to the first course in the short term. However, in the long term, recovery levels were similar after either one or two courses.
CitationResidual haemopoietic damage in the mouse after fractionated gamma-irradiation, down to 0.1 Gy per fraction. 1989, 14 (1):43-8 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Recovery of the proliferative and functional integrity of mouse bone marrow in long-term cultures established after whole-body irradiation at different doses and dose rates.
- Authors: Bierkens JG, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1991 Feb
- Murine haemopoietic stem cells with long-term engraftment and marrow repopulating ability are more resistant to gamma-radiation than are spleen colony forming cells.
- Authors: Ploemacher RE, van Os R, van Beurden CA, Down JD
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Effect of low-dose irradiation on pregnant mouse haemopoiesis.
- Authors: Weinberg SR, McCarthy EG, MacVittie TJ, Baum SJ
- Issue date: 1981 May
- The effect of low dose rate on recovery of hemopoietic and stromal progenitor cells in gamma-irradiated mouse bone marrow.
- Authors: Gallini R, Hendry JH, Molineux G, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1988 Sep
- [Impairment of recovery of the hematopoietic stem pool after long-term external irradiation].
- Authors: Muksinova KN
- Issue date: 1984 Sep-Oct