Cellular interactions between 3T3 cells and interleukin-3-dependent multipotent haemopoietic cells: a model system for stromal-cell-mediated haemopoiesis.
AffiliationDepartment of Ultrastructure, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith the aid of a multipotent stem cell line (FDCP-mix cells) co-cultured with either normal or irradiated Swiss 3T3, cellular interactions between stromal cells and haemopoietic stem cells were studied by electron microscopy and time-lapse video microscopy. When cultured in the presence of interleukin 3 (IL-3) but in the absence of stromal cells, the FDCP-mix cells have a characteristic blast morphology. In the absence of IL-3, the cells die unless they are co-cultured with marrow stromal cells or 3T3 cells. In the latter case, they attach, proliferate, and differentiate on both normal and irradiated Swiss 3T3 cell layers without the addition of extrinsic growth factor (IL-3). At the initial attachment sites of these two cell lines, cellular recognition seemed to be mediated by the formation of microvillus cytoplasmic projections and extracellular matrix. These areas may well be the sites of plasma-membrane-bound signalling/adhesional molecules between the interacting cells.
CitationCellular interactions between 3T3 cells and interleukin-3-dependent multipotent haemopoietic cells: a model system for stromal-cell-mediated haemopoiesis. 1989, 139 (2):301-12 J. Cell. Physiol.
JournalJournal of Cellular Physiology
- Metabolically inactive 3T3 cells can substitute for marrow stromal cells to promote the proliferation and development of multipotent haemopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Roberts RA, Spooncer E, Parkinson EK, Lord BI, Allen TD, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1987 Aug
- A cytoadhesion assay for the binding of cloned hemopoietic progenitor cells to stroma.
- Authors: Hardy CL, Minguell JJ
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- Restorative effect of IL-3 on adherence of cloned hemopoietic progenitor cell to stromal cell.
- Authors: Minguell JJ, Hardy CL
- Issue date: 1993 Jan
- Induction of growth alterations in factor-dependent hematopoietic progenitor cell lines by cocultivation with irradiated bone marrow stromal cell lines.
- Authors: Naparstek E, Pierce J, Metcalf D, Shadduck R, Ihle J, Leder A, Sakakeeny MA, Wagner K, Falco J, FitzGerald TJ
- Issue date: 1986 May
- A murine stromal cell line promotes the proliferation of the human factor-dependent leukemic cell line UT-7.
- Authors: Auffray I, Dubart A, Izac B, Vainchenker W, Coulombel L
- Issue date: 1994 May