The alkylation of DNA in vitro by 2,5-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone (BZQ)--I.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell toxicity by BZQ could not be explained by free radical formation and thus further work has been undertaken to elucidate a possible mechanism of cell killing. By using radiolabelled BZQ, in vitro DNA-drug binding has been investigated. The effect of salt, buffer and drug concentrations was determined in the pH range 4.0 to 8.0. The influence of in situ oxidation and reduction on BZQ binding was also studied as a function of pH. In an effort to ascertain any base specificity of BZQ binding the homopolymers, Poly[dG]. Poly[dC] and Poly[dA]. Poly[dT] were treated with radiolabelled BZQ in the pH range 4.0 to 8.0. A fluorescence assay was used to demonstrate the possible involvement of DNA cross-linking in cellular activity. From this work, it was concluded that BZQ functions as a bifunctional alkylating agent by an acid-assisted aziridine ring-opening mechanism and that other factors including oxidation or reduction are much less important.
CitationThe alkylation of DNA in vitro by 2,5-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone (BZQ)--I. 1989, 38 (6):923-7 Biochem. Pharmacol.
- The lack of correlation between toxicity and free radical formation of two diaziridinyl benzoquinones.
- Authors: Lea JS, Garner HJ, Butler J, Hoey BM, Ward TH
- Issue date: 1988 May 15
- Alteration in DNA cross-linking and sequence selectivity of a series of aziridinylbenzoquinones after enzymatic reduction by DT-diaphorase.
- Authors: Lee CS, Hartley JA, Berardini MD, Butler J, Siegel D, Ross D, Gibson NW
- Issue date: 1992 Mar 24
- The reduction of anti-tumour diaziridinyl benzoquinones.
- Authors: Butler J, Hoey BM, Lea JS
- Issue date: 1987 Aug 13
- Alkylation of DNA by the new anticancer agent 3,6-diaziridinyl-2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4-benzoquinone (AZQ).
- Authors: King CL, Wong SK, Loo TL
- Issue date: 1984 Feb
- DNA cross-linking and sequence selectivity of aziridinylbenzoquinones: a unique reaction at 5'-GC-3' sequences with 2,5-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone upon reduction.
- Authors: Hartley JA, Berardini M, Ponti M, Gibson NW, Thompson AS, Thurston DE, Hoey BM, Butler J
- Issue date: 1991 Dec 17