Children in long-term remission after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia show persisting haemopoietic injury in clonal and long-term cultures.
AffiliationRoyal Manchester Children's Hospital.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty children who were in unmaintained full haematological remission after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) showed a significantly lower incidence of granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells (GM-CFC) in the bone marrow compared to controls. This low incidence lasted for up to at least 3 years after the cessation of chemotherapy. There was no tendency to higher values with longer times after treatment, and the low incidence was not predictive of relapse. Long-term cultures from ALL bone marrows and from controls achieved similar levels of production of mature cells through the whole period of culture (6 weeks). However, cultures from patients' bone marrow had on average about 5 times lower numbers of GM-CFC, indicating that the level of mature cell production was achieved by a higher level of post-GM-CFC amplification than needed in the controls. This is taken to be due to compensatory mechanisms operative during stressed haemopoiesis which appears to be a long-lasting effect after current chemotherapy of ALL.
CitationChildren in long-term remission after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia show persisting haemopoietic injury in clonal and long-term cultures. 1989, 71 (1):37-41 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Effects of recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (CSF), human granulocyte macrophage-CSF, and gibbon interleukin-3 on hematopoiesis in human long-term bone marrow culture.
- Authors: Coutinho LH, Will A, Radford J, Schiró R, Testa NG, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1990 Jun 1
- Long-term bone marrow damage after chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukaemia does not improve with time.
- Authors: Chang J, Geary CG, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Long-term bone-marrow damage in children treated for ALL: evidence from in vitro colony assays (GM-CFC and CFUF).
- Authors: Haworth C, Morris-Jones PH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1982 Dec
- Haemopoietic inductive capacity of irradiated stromal cell layers in human micro long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Brühl P, Mergenthaler HG, Dörmer P
- Issue date: 1988 Nov
- Assessment of megakaryopoiesis in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Kalmanti M, Stiakaki E, Mantadakis E, Martimianaki G, Giannoulia A, Kalmonti L, Dimitriou H
- Issue date: 2005