The characterization of the EBV alkaline deoxyribonuclease cloned and expressed in E. coli.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStudies of nucleic acid homology suggest the BGLF5 open reading frame of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) encodes an alkaline deoxyribonuclease (DNase) sharing some homology with that of herpes simplex virus. We report here the expression of the BGLF5 open reading frame in E. coli and the expression of high levels of a novel alkaline DNase activity in induced cells. This alkaline DNase has been purified to apparent homogeneity as a single protein species. This is the first report of the expression of a herpesvirus coded DNase in a prokaryotic system and of the purification of the EBV DNase to demonstrable purity. It has the biochemical characteristics of a typical herpesvirus alkaline exonuclease showing a high pH optimum, an absolute requirement for Mg2+ for activity and sensitivity to high salt concentrations and polyamines. The enzyme activity was neutralized by sera from patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma and was reactive with these sera in Western blot analysis. Thus the prokaryotic expression system described here provides an economical and efficient source of the EBV DNase for biochemical and seroepidemiological analysis.
CitationThe characterization of the EBV alkaline deoxyribonuclease cloned and expressed in E. coli. 1989, 17 (19):7609-22 Nucleic Acids Res.
JournalNucleic Acids Research
- Purification and properties of Epstein-Barr virus DNase expressed in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Stolzenberg MC, Ooka T
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Immunological characterization of the Epstein-Barr virus phosphoprotein PP58 and deoxyribonuclease expressed in the baculovirus expression system.
- Authors: Chen HF, Sauter M, Haiss P, Müller-Lantzsch N
- Issue date: 1991 Jul 30
- High-level expression of the Epstein-Barr virus alkaline deoxyribonuclease using a recombinant baculovirus: application to the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Baylis SA, Purifoy DJ, Littler E
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- Use of bacterially-expressed antigen for detection of antibodies to the EBV-specific deoxyribonuclease in sera from patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Chen JY, Liu MY, Hsu TY, Cho SM, Yang CS
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Functional analysis of the amino terminus of Epstein-Barr virus deoxyribonuclease.
- Authors: Lin SF, Lin SW, Hsu TY, Liu MY, Chen JY, Yang CS
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 15