Age-related decrease in an early step of DNA-repair of normal human lymphocytes exposed to ultraviolet-irradiation.
AffiliationDepartment of Research, Kantonsspital, Basel, Switzerland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA monoclonal antibody-based immunoassay has been used to detect age-related changes in the rate of loss of photoproduct antigenicity from the DNA of peripheral blood lymphocytes irradiated with 10 J m-2 uv-C. Lymphocytes were obtained from 75 healthy volunteers whose ages ranged from 14 months to 82 years. The samples were divided by age decades into groups of 10 individuals, except the first decade which contained only 5 individuals. The mean loss of antigenicity +/- 1 standard deviation was determined for each group at 10, 30, and 60 min after irradiation. The data were analyzed by Mann-Whitney U test and by the Kruskal-Wallis test. After a recovery period of 10 min the loss of antigenicity was most rapid in group I (0-9 years), less rapid in group II (10-19 years), and least rapid in all other groups. The differences between groups became less at 30 min and were not significant at 60 min incubation. These data obtained from normal cells concur with our previous conclusions, that reductions in the rate of loss of antigenicity in nondiseased cells isolated from patients with melanoma and dysplastic naevus syndrome reflect genetic abnormalities in these patients.
CitationAge-related decrease in an early step of DNA-repair of normal human lymphocytes exposed to ultraviolet-irradiation. 1989, 180 (1):171-7 Exp. Cell Res.
JournalExperimental Cell Research
- Age-related variation in the DNA-repair synthesis after UV-C irradiation in unstimulated lymphocytes of healthy blood donors.
- Authors: Kovacs E, Weber W, Müller H
- Issue date: 1984 May-Jun
- Assessment of human DNA repair (NER) capacity with DNA repair rate (DRR) by comet assay.
- Authors: Zheng W, He JL, Jin LF, Lou JL, Wang BH
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Age-related decrease of ultraviolet light-induced DNA repair synthesis in human peripheral leukocytes.
- Authors: Lambert B, Ringborg U, Skoog L
- Issue date: 1979 Jul
- [Weakening of the ultraviolet ray-induced unscheduled DNA synthesis in human lymphocytes in extreme old age].
- Authors: Lezhava TA, Prokof'eva VV, Mikhel'son VM
- Issue date: 1979 Nov
- UV- and gamma-irradiation-induced DNA single-strand breaks and their repair in human blood granulocytes and lymphocytes.
- Authors: Lankinen MH, Vilpo LM, Vilpo JA
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 10