AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Ionizing Radiations Regulations 1985 require employers to monitor all classified persons and to demonstrate that all non-classified persons who work in controlled areas do not exceed three-tenths (i.e. the classification level) of any relevant annual dose limit. A review of occupational doses was undertaken to ascertain whether any person needed to be designated as a classified person and to demonstrate compliance with the Regulation regarding non-classified staff working in controlled areas. The occupational-dose data for 1986 were compared with data for 1981 to identify any areas where changes in workload, equipment or techniques had led to increases in whole-body or organ doses. The results demonstrate that the level of whole-body occupational dose received by the vast majority of NHS employees in the North-Western Regional Health Authority is, as expected, extremely low. However, two specific areas were identified where occupational doses are relatively high and need to be carefully monitored. The review has also led to a number of operational changes being implemented by the Approved Dosimetry Service.
CitationA review of occupational exposure in the North-Western Region. 1989, 62 (740):734-8 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Occupational exposure in medicine--a review of radiation doses to hospital staff in north-west England.
- Authors: Hughes JS, Roberts GC, Stephenson SK
- Issue date: 1983 Oct
- Assessment of annual whole-body occupational radiation exposure in medical practice in Ghana (2000-09).
- Authors: Hasford F, Owusu-Banahene J, Amoako JK, Otoo F, Darko EO, Emi-Reynolds G, Yeboah J, Arwui CC, Adu S
- Issue date: 2012 May
- A comprehensive dose reconstruction methodology for former rocketdyne/atomics international radiation workers.
- Authors: Boice JD Jr, Leggett RW, Ellis ED, Wallace PW, Mumma M, Cohen SS, Brill AB, Chadda B, Boecker BB, Yoder RC, Eckerman KF
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Individual dose monitoring of the nuclear medicine departments staff controlled by Central Laboratory for Radiological Protection.
- Authors: Szewczak K, Jednoróg S, Krajewski P
- Issue date: 2013
- Radiation doses of employees of a Nuclear Medicine Department after implementation of more rigorous radiation protection methods.
- Authors: Piwowarska-Bilska H, Supinska A, Listewnik MH, Zorga P, Birkenfeld B
- Issue date: 2013 Nov