Functional studies of bone marrow haemopoietic and stromal cells in the myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).
AffiliationExperimental Haematology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term bone marrow culture (LTBMC) was used to investigate the proliferative behaviour of marrow cells from a spectrum of cases of the myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), and the results compared with those obtained in the conventional short-term clonal assay. Two broad patterns of growth were revealed in LTBMC. In one group the incidence of haemopoietic progenitor cells steadily declined to abnormally low levels at 4 weeks, while in a second group they were maintained near normal levels for periods of up to 7 weeks. These growth patterns, which were not predictable from clonogenic assays on the marrow cells prior to LTBMC, or from the morphology of the bone marrow, may reflect the stage of evolution of the disease. Further studies of clonality are required to establish whether or not patients exhibiting the second pattern have a potentiality to harbour residual normal haemopoiesis. LTBMC was also used to study the function of MDS marrow stroma in terms of its ability to sustain the growth of normal haemopoietic progenitor cells. Although the phenotype of the cultured adherent cell layer, obtained from some patients, was atypical, no consistent functional defect of MDS stroma could be identified by studying the level of haemopoiesis reached by normal cells seeded into MDS stroma.
CitationFunctional studies of bone marrow haemopoietic and stromal cells in the myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). 1990, 75 (1):16-25 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- A practical miniature long-term bone marrow culture system for investigating early myelodysplasia.
- Authors: Roberts IA, McMullin MF
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- In vitro characterization of hematopoietic microenvironment cells from patients with myelodysplastic syndrome.
- Authors: Flores-Figueroa E, Gutiérrez-Espíndola G, Montesinos JJ, Arana-Trejo RM, Mayani H
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- The bone marrow stem stromal imbalance--a key feature of disease progression in case of myelodysplastic mouse model.
- Authors: Das M, Chatterjee S, Basak P, Das P, Pereira JA, Dutta RK, Chaklader M, Chaudhuri S, Law S
- Issue date: 2010
- Abnormalities of adherent layers grown from bone marrow of patients with myelodysplasia.
- Authors: Tennant GB, Walsh V, Truran LN, Edwards P, Mills KI, Burnett AK
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Role of cytokines in leukemic type growth of myelodysplastic CD34+ cells.
- Authors: Sawada K, Ieko M, Notoya A, Tarumi T, Koizumi K, Kitayama S, Nishio H, Fukada Y, Yasukouchi T, Yamaguchi M, Katoh S, Koike T
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 1