Long-term bone marrow damage after chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukaemia does not improve with time.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Paterson Laboratory, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirteen patients with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) who had been in unmaintained complete remission for at least 5 years following successful chemotherapy, were studied by marrow culture techniques regularly for periods of up to 5 years. In 10 patients, short-term clonal assay revealed the incidence of granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells (GM-CFC) to be at the lower limit of the normal range; but three showed wide fluctuations in GM-CFC numbers. Moreover the generation of GM-CFC in long-term bone marrow culture (LTBMC) was impaired in eight of nine evaluable patients. These results suggest that, despite normal blood counts, impairment of haemopoiesis persists in patients who are long-term survivors of AML, and this does not improve with the passage of time.
CitationLong-term bone marrow damage after chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukaemia does not improve with time. 1990, 75 (1):68-72 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Effect of chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukemia on hematopoietic and fibroblast marrow progenitors.
- Authors: Carlo-Stella C, Tabilio A, Regazzi E, Garau D, La Tagliata R, Trasarti S, Andrizzi C, Vignetti M, Meloni G
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Changes in granulocyte-macrophage colony formation in relation to chemotherapy and clinical progress in acute myeloblastic leukaemia patients.
- Authors: Miyao S, Tamura J, Sakuraya M, Murakami H, Naruse T
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Serial studies of bone marrow-derived fibroblastoid colony-forming cells and granulocyte/macrophage precursor cells in patients with acute leukemia.
- Authors: Katsuno M, Hirata J, Kaneko S, Nishimura J, Motomura S, Ibayashi H
- Issue date: 1986
- Clonal remissions in acute myeloid leukaemia are commonly associated with features of trilineage myelodysplasia during remission.
- Authors: Jowitt SN, Liu Yin JA, Saunders MJ, Lucas GS
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Growth of hemopoietic cells after incubation with VP 16-213.
- Authors: Schulze E, Hofmann U, Woetzel M, Helbig W
- Issue date: 1989