AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe expression of MHC class-I antigens was analysed in 67 cervical carcinoma biopsies; 16% of the biopsies showed complete or heterogeneous loss of HLA expression as judged by reactivity with antibodies recognizing monomorphic determinants of the class-I heavy chain bound to beta 2 microglobulin (beta 2m). In addition, other biopsies showed a loss in expression of particular allelic products: 23% for HLA-A2; 17% for HLA-A3; 23% for HLA-Bw4 and 19% for HLA-Bw6. Three biopsies showed changes at 2 alleles, 2 of which were at both HLA-A and -B loci. Down-regulation of class-I expression may be virally mediated and HPV DNA is frequently found in cervical carcinomas. However, there appeared to be no direct correlation between the detection of HPV 16 or 18 DNA in these tumours and changes in HLA expression. There was also no correlation with the expression of the oncofoetal antigen 5T4. Our results show that a significant proportion (at least 30%) of the cervical carcinomas showed some alteration in MHC class-I expression. Such changes may allow tumours to evade immune surveillance with more rapid progression. There was, however, no correlation with tumour type, degree of differentiation or stage of disease at presentation.
CitationLoss of MHC class-I expression in cervical carcinomas. 1990, 46 (6):1029-34 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer.
- HLA expression in pre-invasive cervical neoplasia in relation to human papilloma virus infection.
- Authors: Glew SS, Connor ME, Snijders PJ, Stanbridge CM, Buckley CH, Walboomers JM, Meijer CJ, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1993
- The expression of histocompatibility-related leukocyte antigens in the pathway to cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Hilders CG, Houbiers JG, Krul EJ, Fleuren GJ
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Dynamics of selected MHC class I and II molecule expression in the course of HPV positive CIN treatment with the use of human recombinant IFN-gamma.
- Authors: Sikorski M, Bobek M, Zrubek H, Marcinkiewicz J
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- HLA class II antigen expression in human papillomavirus-associated cervical cancer.
- Authors: Glew SS, Duggan-Keen M, Cabrera T, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1992 Jul 15
- MHC class I expression in HPV 16 positive cervical carcinomas is post-transcriptionally controlled and independent from c-myc overexpression.
- Authors: Cromme FV, Snijders PJ, van den Brule AJ, Kenemans P, Meijer CJ, Walboomers JM
- Issue date: 1993 Nov