Contrasting cytotoxic mechanisms of similar antitumour diaziridinylbenzoquinones.
AffiliationDepartment of Biophysical Chemistry, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mechanisms of cytotoxicity of the antitumour diaziridinylbenzoquinones, AZQ and BZQ, have been investigated. HPLC analysis has been used to study the products as well as the rate of decomposition of acid-assisted ring-opening in aqueous medium as a function of pH. Microconcentrators with a molecular weight cutoff of 30 kDa were utilised to study the covalent binding of both compounds to calf thymus DNA. Radical production of both compounds in K562 cell incubations was followed using ESR and their uptake into K562 cells was monitored using radiolabelled compounds. The results show that these two diaziridinylbenzoquinones, although very similar in structure, have diverse mechanisms of cytotoxicity. The implications of these findings are discussed in the light of antitumor action.
CitationContrasting cytotoxic mechanisms of similar antitumour diaziridinylbenzoquinones. 1990, 8 (4-6):231-9 Free Radic. Res. Commun.
JournalFree Radical Research Communications
- The lack of correlation between toxicity and free radical formation of two diaziridinyl benzoquinones.
- Authors: Lea JS, Garner HJ, Butler J, Hoey BM, Ward TH
- Issue date: 1988 May 15
- Mechanisms of DNA strand breakage and interstrand cross-linking by diaziridinylbenzoquinone (diaziquone) in isolated nuclei from human cells.
- Authors: Szmigiero L, Kohn KW
- Issue date: 1984 Oct
- The influence of diaziquone free radicals on the in vitro activity of diaziquone.
- Authors: Nguyen B, Biswal S, Gutierrez PL
- Issue date: 1988 May
- Photosensitization of MCF-7 cells with diaziquone using visible light: correlation with DNA strand breaks and free radical production.
- Authors: al-Nabulsi I, Gutierrez PL
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- The alkylation of DNA in vitro by 2,5-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone (BZQ)--I.
- Authors: Butler J, Hoey BM, Ward TH
- Issue date: 1989 Mar 15