Analysis of dose-incidence relationships for marrow failure in different species, in terms of radiosensitivity of tissue-rescuing units.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe analysis of 68 published sets of dose-incidence data for marrow failure in different species, using a double-log mortality function, indicates: (a) There is more heterogeneity, i.e. greater sums-of-squares per degree of freedom, within the data sets for mouse than for larger species (monkey, dog, sheep, goat, pig). (b) For mice the curves for acute doses are characterized by a D0 of about 100 cGy for tissue-rescuing units (or target cells), which are depleted at most to about 3 x 10(-4) at LD50. (c) Larger species are much less tolerant to target-cell depletion, the corresponding level being consistently in the range of 10(-2)-10(-3) at LD50. Also, the D0 is often lower (approximately 55 cGy), which is compatible in the dog with such a value for hemopoietic progenitor cells. (d) With larger species there is an unexpected reduction in heterogeneity when the dose rate is lower, which gives a D0 lower than expected and a higher extrapolate. It is concluded that the position and slope of the dose-incidence curves are compatible with interpretations based primarily on target-cell number and survival characteristics, modified by additional heterogeneity factors.
CitationAnalysis of dose-incidence relationships for marrow failure in different species, in terms of radiosensitivity of tissue-rescuing units. 1990, 122 (2):155-60 Radiat. Res.
- Survival of spleen colony-forming units (CFU-S) of irradiated bone marrow cells in mice: evidence for the existence of a radioresistant subfraction.
- Authors: Inoue T, Hirabayashi Y, Mitsui H, Sasaki H, Cronkite EP, Bullis JE Jr, Bond VP, Yoshida K
- Issue date: 1995 Nov
- Radiation sensitivity of the hemopoietic stem cell.
- Authors: van Bekkum DW
- Issue date: 1991 Oct
- Gamma-ray-induced cell killing and chromosome abnormalities in the bone marrow of p53-deficient mice.
- Authors: Wang L, Cui Y, Lord BI, Roberts SA, Potten CS, Hendry JH, Scott D
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Radiosensitivity of human bone marrow granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells and stromal colony-forming cells: effect of dose rate.
- Authors: FitzGerald TJ, McKenna M, Rothstein L, Daugherty C, Kase K, Greenberger JS
- Issue date: 1986 Aug
- In situ radiation sensitivity of recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor-recruited murine circulating blood and bone marrow progenitors (colony-forming unit [CFU]-granulocyte-macrophage and CFU-megakaryocyte): evidence for possible biologic differences between mobilized blood and bone marrow.
- Authors: Scheding S, Media JE, KuKuruga MA, Nakeff A
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 15