A comparison of hematopoiesis in normal and splenectomized mice treated with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (rhG-CSF) induces leukocytosis in vivo in both intact and splenectomized mice. Full dose response data showed a plateau in this effect at doses over 500 micrograms rhG-CSF/kg body weight/d in intact mice. The effect is magnified in splenectomized mice, where leukocyte numbers reach 100 x 10(6) mL after 4 days' treatment at 250 micrograms/kg/d. Further hematopoietic precursor populations are also affected in both marrow and the spleen; in general, marrow parameters were depressed, while splenic populations were enlarged. In splenectomized mice, both blood-borne stem cells were enhanced, and foci of extramedullary hematopoiesis were enlarged in addition to the effects seen in intact mice. In the marrow of splenectomized and intact mice treated with a high dose of G-CSF, erythroid suppression in the marrow was confirmed with radioactive iron. Our studies confirm and extend previous work on the mode of action of G-CSF, and indicate that side effects of high dose G-CSF therapy might include erythroid suppression in the bone marrow.
CitationA comparison of hematopoiesis in normal and splenectomized mice treated with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. 1990, 75 (3):563-9 Blood
- The effects on hematopoiesis of recombinant stem cell factor (ligand for c-kit) administered in vivo to mice either alone or in combination with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor.
- Authors: Molineux G, Migdalska A, Szmitkowski M, Zsebo K, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1991 Aug 15
- Proliferative response of human marrow myeloid progenitor cells to in vivo treatment with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor alone and in combination with interleukin-3 after autologous bone marrow transplantation.
- Authors: Lemoli RM, Fortuna A, Fogli M, Gherlinzoni F, Rosti G, Catani L, Gozzetti A, Miggiano MC, Tura S
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- In vitro and in vivo hematopoietic effect of mutant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor.
- Authors: Okabe M, Asano M, Kuga T, Komatsu Y, Yamasaki M, Yokoo Y, Itoh S, Morimoto M, Oka T
- Issue date: 1990 May 1
- Synergy of interleukin 1 and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: in vivo stimulation of stem-cell recovery and hematopoietic regeneration following 5-fluorouracil treatment of mice.
- Authors: Moore MA, Warren DJ
- Issue date: 1987 Oct
- In vivo synergy between recombinant human stem cell factor and recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in baboons enhanced circulation of progenitor cells.
- Authors: Andrews RG, Briddell RA, Knitter GH, Opie T, Bronsden M, Myerson D, Appelbaum FR, McNiece IK
- Issue date: 1994 Aug 1