Identification, cloning, and expression of the major capsid protein gene of human herpesvirus 6.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA sequence analysis of part of the human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) genome led to the identification of an open reading frame with amino acid sequence homology to the major capsid proteins (MCP) of other HHVs. DIAGON analysis showed that the closest homology was with human cytomegalovirus. Plasmids were constructed which were shown to express the HHV-6 MCP as either the entire open reading frame or as portions of it, and the recombinant-produced proteins were used to raise antisera. The antisera were shown by immunofluorescence to react with HHV-6-infected lymphoblastoid cells and in Western blots with a 135-kilodalton protein specific to HHV-6-infected cells. The recombinant protein expressed from the entire HHV-6 MCP gene was detected only weakly in Western blot assays with normal HHV-6-positive human sera as a probe.
CitationIdentification, cloning, and expression of the major capsid protein gene of human herpesvirus 6. 1990, 64 (2):714-22 J. Virol.
JournalJournal of Virology
- Human herpesvirus 6 is closely related to human cytomegalovirus.
- Authors: Lawrence GL, Chee M, Craxton MA, Gompels UA, Honess RW, Barrell BG
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Identification and characterization of the herpes simplex virus type 2 gene encoding the essential capsid protein ICP32/VP19c.
- Authors: Yei SP, Chowdhury SI, Bhat BM, Conley AJ, Wold WS, Batterson W
- Issue date: 1990 Mar
- Identification and nucleotide sequence of a gene in feline herpesvirus type 1 homologous to the herpes simplex virus gene encoding the glycoprotein B.
- Authors: Maeda K, Horimoto T, Norimine J, Kawaguchi Y, Tomonaga K, Niikura M, Kai C, Takahashi E, Mikami T
- Issue date: 1992
- Molecular cloning, characterization, and expression of the Tipula iridescent virus capsid gene.
- Authors: Tajbakhsh S, Lee PE, Watson DC, Seligy VL
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Nucleotide sequence and transcriptional mapping of the major capsid protein gene of pseudorabies virus.
- Authors: Yamada S, Imada T, Watanabe W, Honda Y, Nakajima-Iijima S, Shimizu Y, Sekikawa K
- Issue date: 1991 Nov