Additive interaction between tamoxifen and rifampicin in human biliary tract carcinoma cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiobiology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel two-drug combination of tamoxifen and rifampicin has been investigated for the treatment of biliary tract-associated malignancies. Their effects, alone and in combination, on human tumour cells were studied using two pancreatic carcinoma cell lines. MIA PaCa-2 and AsPC-1, and a gall bladder carcinoma cell line, G-415. Inhibition of growth was used as an endpoint. The cells differed in sensitivity to equimolar doses of the two drugs given as single agents. Combined doses of rifampicin and tamoxifen resulted in growth inhibition to an extent that was suggestive of additive or synergistic drug effects. More detailed analysis was carried out, involving the production of an 'envelope of additivity' for each cell line. An additive effect of drug combination was shown to occur in all three cell lines, thus providing a basis for use of this novel two-drug combination in the treatment of biliary tract-associated malignancies.
CitationAdditive interaction between tamoxifen and rifampicin in human biliary tract carcinoma cells. 1990, 55 (2):159-63 Cancer Lett.
- FOLFIRI in patients with locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic or biliary tract carcinoma: a monoinstitutional experience.
- Authors: Moretto R, Raimondo L, De Stefano A, Cella CA, Matano E, De Placido S, Carlomagno C
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Treatment of biliary tract cancer with NVP-AEW541: mechanisms of action and resistance.
- Authors: Wolf S, Lorenz J, Mössner J, Wiedmann M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 14
- Tamoxifen and trifluoroperazine (Stelazine) potentiate cytostatic/cytotoxic effects of P-30 protein, a novel protein possessing anti-tumor activity.
- Authors: Mikulski SM, Viera A, Ardelt W, Menduke H, Shogen K
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Synergistic activity of troxacitabine (Troxatyl) and gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Damaraju VL, Bouffard DY, Wong CK, Clarke ML, Mackey JR, Leblond L, Cass CE, Grey M, Gourdeau H
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 3
- Combined effects of RU486 and tamoxifen on the growth and cell cycle phases of the MCF-7 cell line.
- Authors: Thomas M, Monet JD
- Issue date: 1992 Sep