Differential cytotoxicity of combretastatins A1 and A4 in two daunorubicin-resistant P388 cell lines.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCombretastatin A4, a novel anti-mitotic agent was effective against two P388 cell lines with acquired resistance to daunorubicin. In contrast, Combretastatin A1, a close structural analogue of A4, showed a high degree of cross-resistance. Combretastatin A1 was also more efficient at increasing intracellular daunorubicin concentrations in both resistant cell lines. Neither agent was capable of altering anthracycline accumulation in the parental (sensitive) cell line. We propose that the cross-resistance to Combretastatin A1 occurs, at least in part, as a result of the increased affinity of the drug-efflux process operative in these resistant cells for Combretastatin A1 vs Combretastatin A4. Hence, Combretastatin A4 may play a role in the treatment of tumours with acquired resistance to the anthracycline antibiotics.
CitationDifferential cytotoxicity of combretastatins A1 and A4 in two daunorubicin-resistant P388 cell lines. 1990, 26 (1):79-81 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Structural and biochemical comparison of the anti-mitotic agents colchicine, combretastatin A4 and amphethinile.
- Authors: McGown AT, Fox BW
- Issue date: 1989 Mar
- Possible coexistence of two independent mechanisms contributing to anthracycline resistance in leukaemia P388 cells.
- Authors: Soto F, Planells-Cases R, Canaves JM, Ferrer-Montiel AV, Aleu J, Gamarro F, Castanys S, Gonzalez-Ros JM, Ferragut JA
- Issue date: 1993
- Non-antitumor vinca alkaloids reverse multidrug resistance in P388 leukemia cells in vitro.
- Authors: Inaba M, Nagashima K
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- Effect of hyperthermia on intracellular drug accumulation and chemosensitivity in drug-sensitive and drug-resistant P388 leukaemia cell lines.
- Authors: Toffoli G, Bevilacqua C, Franceschin A, Boiocchi M
- Issue date: 1989 Mar-Apr
- Comparison of daunorubicin and anthrapyrazolone sensitivity and transport in resistant cell lines.
- Authors: McGown A, Poppitt DG, Fox BW
- Issue date: 1987 Dec