The effects of the platinum anti-tumour agents on renal cell kinetics and the response to a second cytotoxic agent.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiobiology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFollowing 15 mg kg-1 cisplatin to mice, the labelling index (LI) in the kidney decreased from 0.4% to less than 0.01% at 1-3 d, increased to 1.9% at day 16 and returned to control levels by day 30. Cytotoxicity was assessed by counts of viable tubule cross-sections and recovery was incomplete up to 14 months after treatment. Cisplatin treatment impaired the regeneration response to a dose of 16 mg kg-1 uranyl nitrate (UN) given 14 d after cisplatin when assessed by an increase in LI and sub-capsular tubule count. However, there was recovery with greater time intervals. At nine months after cisplatin there was no difference in response to UN of controls and mice previously treated by cisplatin. Prior treatment with paraplatin or iproplatin at LD50 doses produced not only no histopathological changes but also no impairment of the subsequent responses to UN.
CitationThe effects of the platinum anti-tumour agents on renal cell kinetics and the response to a second cytotoxic agent. 1990, 23 (2):61-70 Cell Tissue Kinet
JournalCell and Tissue Kinetics
- An autoradiographic study of the intrarenal localisation and retention of cisplatin, iproplatin and paraplatin.
- Authors: Ewen C, Perera A, Hendry JH, McAuliffe CA, Sharma H, Fox BW
- Issue date: 1988
- Mechanism of cytotoxicity of anticancer platinum drugs: evidence that cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) and cis-diammine-(1,1-cyclobutanedicarboxylato)platinum(II) differ only in the kinetics of their interaction with DNA.
- Authors: Knox RJ, Friedlos F, Lydall DA, Roberts JJ
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- In vitro platinum drug chemosensitivity of human cervical squamous cell carcinoma cell lines with intrinsic and acquired resistance to cisplatin.
- Authors: Mellish KJ, Kelland LR, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- In vitro phase II comparison of the cytotoxicity of a novel platinum analog, nedaplatin (254-S), with that of cisplatin and carboplatin against fresh, human cervical cancers.
- Authors: Monk BJ, Alberts DS, Burger RA, Fanta PT, Hallum AV 3rd, Hatch KD, Salmon SE
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Human ovarian-carcinoma cell lines and companion xenografts: a disease-oriented approach to new platinum anticancer drug discovery.
- Authors: Kelland LR, Jones M, Abel G, Valenti M, Gwynne J, Harrap KR
- Issue date: 1992