The biochemistry and biology of the myeloid haemopoietic cell growth factors.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the adult, blood cell production or haemopoiesis takes place mainly in the bone marrow. The blood cell types produced are a reflection of the needs of the organism at any moment, for example bacterial infection leads to a large increase in neutrophil production. The rate and scale of blood cell production in vivo are regulated, at least in part, by the synthesis and release of specific cytokines both within the bone marrow and also from other tissues. Here we detail the range of cytokines which act directly on haemopoietic stem cells and myeloid progenitor cells. Also cellular systems which will permit the elucidation of the specific interactions between these various cytokines which regulate stem cell self-renewal, differentiation and proliferation are described.
CitationThe biochemistry and biology of the myeloid haemopoietic cell growth factors. 1990, 13:57-74 J. Cell Sci. Suppl.
JournalJournal of Cell Science. Supplement
- [Regeneration of bone marrow tissue. Growth and differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells and the role of bone marrow microenvironment on hematopoiesis].
- Authors: Ohta M, Saito M
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Stem cell renewal and determination during clonal expansion in normal and leukaemic haemopoiesis.
- Authors: McCulloch EA
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Regulation of myelopoiesis.
- Authors: Bender JG, Van Epps DE, Stewart CC
- Issue date: 1987
- [The effect of cytokines on myelopoiesis. Origin, regulation of secretion and biological activity].
- Authors: Herrmann F
- Issue date: 1989 May 10
- Promotion of Expansion and Differentiation of Hematopoietic Stem Cells by Interleukin-27 into Myeloid Progenitors to Control Infection in Emergency Myelopoiesis.
- Authors: Furusawa J, Mizoguchi I, Chiba Y, Hisada M, Kobayashi F, Yoshida H, Nakae S, Tsuchida A, Matsumoto T, Ema H, Mizuguchi J, Yoshimoto T
- Issue date: 2016 Mar