Characterization and expression of a glycoprotein encoded by the Epstein-Barr virus BamHI I fragment.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Laboratories, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComputer-assisted analysis of the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) open reading frame BILF2 (B95-8 nucleotides 150,525 to 149,782) predicts that it codes for a membrane-bound glycoprotein. [3H]glucosamine labeling of cells infected with vaccinia virus recombinants that expressed the BILF2 open reading frame revealed several diffuse species of glycoproteins of around 80,000 and 55,000 daltons. A monoclonal antibody derived from spleens of mice immunized with EBV immunoprecipitated the EBV-derived protein made by the vaccinia virus recombinants and also precipitated a late envelope glycoprotein with a mobility of 78,000 to 55,000 from EBV-producing cells. N-Glycanase treatment of the immunoprecipitated BILF2 product from EBV-producing cells resulted in a polypeptide of 28 kilodaltons, closely agreeing with the predicted molecular mass for the unmodified BILF2 gene product. Western (immuno-) blots using recombinant infected cells as a source of antigen showed that the majority of EBV-seropositive individuals have a serum antibody response to the BILF2-encoded gp78/55.
CitationCharacterization and expression of a glycoprotein encoded by the Epstein-Barr virus BamHI I fragment. 1990, 64 (6):2545-52 J. Virol.
JournalJournal of Virology
- Cloning and characterization of cDNA clones corresponding to transcripts from the BamHI G region of the Epstein-Barr virus genome and expression of BGLF2.
- Authors: Chen MR, Hsu TY, Lin SW, Chen JY, Yang CS
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Identification and expression of a human cytomegalovirus glycoprotein with homology to the Epstein-Barr virus BXLF2 product, varicella-zoster virus gpIII, and herpes simplex virus type 1 glycoprotein H.
- Authors: Cranage MP, Smith GL, Bell SE, Hart H, Brown C, Bankier AT, Tomlinson P, Barrell BG, Minson TC
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- A novel Epstein-Barr virus glycoprotein gp150 expressed from the BDLF3 open reading frame.
- Authors: Kurilla MG, Heineman T, Davenport LC, Kieff E, Hutt-Fletcher LM
- Issue date: 1995 May 10
- Epstein-Barr virus glycoprotein gp85 associates with the BKRF2 gene product and is incompletely processed as a recombinant protein.
- Authors: Yaswen LR, Stephens EB, Davenport LC, Hutt-Fletcher LM
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- A second Epstein-Barr virus early antigen gene in BamHI fragment M encodes a 48- to 50-kilodalton nuclear protein.
- Authors: Cho MS, Milman G, Hayward SD
- Issue date: 1985 Dec