AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConstitutional delay in growth and puberty is a variant of normal growth and development that can cause a significant degree of psychological disturbance in otherwise healthy children, and is most often seen in boys of pubertal age. Careful assessment is necessary to rule out other endocrine or nonendocrine diseases. In some patients, therapy with oxandrolone or testosterone may be necessary to advance growth and/or pubertal development and thereby prevent serious psychological disturbance that can persist even into adult life. In the majority, however, reassurance will usually suffice.
CitationManagement of constitutional delay in growth and puberty., 1 (5):239-42 Trends Endocrinol Metab
JournalTrends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Degree of activation of the pituitary-testicular axis in early pubertal boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty determines the growth response to treatment with testosterone or oxandrolone.
- Authors: Crowne EC, Wallace WH, Moore C, Mitchell R, Robertson WR, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Oral treatment for constitutional delay of growth and puberty in boys: a randomised trial of an anabolic steroid or testosterone undecanoate.
- Authors: Albanese A, Kewley GD, Long A, Pearl KN, Robins DG, Stanhope R
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Oxandrolone therapy in constitutionally delayed growth and puberty. Bio-Technology General Corporation Cooperative Study Group.
- Authors: Wilson DM, McCauley E, Brown DR, Dudley R
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Growth and growth hormone responses to oxandrolone in boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty (CDGP).
- Authors: Clayton PE, Shalet SM, Price DA, Addison GM
- Issue date: 1988 Aug
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of letrozole to oxandrolone effects upon growth and puberty of children with constitutional delay of puberty and idiopathic short stature.
- Authors: Salehpour S, Alipour P, Razzaghy-Azar M, Ardeshirpour L, Shamshiri A, Monfared MF, Gharib A
- Issue date: 2010