Proliferative changes in the genital tissue of female mice during the oestrous cycle.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChanges in proliferation and number of epithelial cells of the murine genital tract, during the oestrous cycle, have been studied. A total of 47 animals in the prooestrous, metoestrous and dioestrous phases of the cycle were staged retrospectively on the basis of the genital tract histology. The average duration of the oestrous cycle in these animals was 4 days, and half of this period was occupied by the prooestrous/oestrous phases. Significant cycles of growth were observed in the luminal uterine epithelium and in the basal epithelium of the cervix-vagina. Most of this growth occurred during the pro-oestrous phase, which lasted approximately 1 day. During this time the numbers of luminal epithelial cells in the uterus and suprabasal cells in the cervix-vagina increased 2-3 fold. This pattern of growth appeared partly synchronous and corresponded to the period when serum oestrogen levels are at their highest. A corresponding and rapid reduction in the numbers of uterine luminal epithelial cells and suprabasal cells in the cervix and vagina was noted during the early metoestrous phase; and this occured during the period when serum oestrogens are at their lowest levels. No significant periodicity in the proliferation and numbers of the uterine gland epithelial cells was noted during the cycle. The kinetic role and function of the gland cells is discussed in relation to these data.
CitationProliferative changes in the genital tissue of female mice during the oestrous cycle. 1990, 23 (6):619-35 Cell Tissue Kinet
JournalCell and Tissue Kinetics
- Cell proliferation in the principal target organs of the dog (beagle) ovary during various periods of the estrous cycle.
- Authors: Spanel-Borowski K, Schmalz V, Thor-Wiedemann S, Pilgrim C
- Issue date: 1984
- Reproductive functional anatomy and oestrous cycle pattern of the female brush-tailed porcupine (Atherurus africanus, Gray 1842) from Gabon.
- Authors: Mayor P, López-Béjar M, Jori F, Fenech M, López-Gatius F
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 15
- Distribution and heterogeneity of mast cells in female reproductive tract and ovary on different days of the oestrus cycle in Angora goats.
- Authors: Karaca T, Arikan S, Kalender H, Yoruk M
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Blood flow to the genital tract of oestrous and dioestrous guinea-pigs.
- Authors: Sjöquist PO, Bjellin L, Carter AM
- Issue date: 1977 Sep
- Polymeric immunoglobulin A receptor in the rodent female reproductive tract: influence of estradiol in the vagina and differential expression of messenger ribonucleic acid during estrous cycle.
- Authors: Kaushic C, Frauendorf E, Wira CR
- Issue date: 1997 Nov