Role of endocytosis in the action of ether lipids on WEHI-3B, HL60, and FDCP-mix A4 cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated the effect of a number of platelet activating factor antagonists on cell killing by 1-O-octadecyl-2-O-methyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoryl choline (ET-18-OCH3). Of six platelet activating factor antagonists tested, four were found to protect WEHI-3B leukemic cells against cell death induced by ET-18-OCH3. Certain other compounds, not platelet activating factor antagonists, had similar protective effects. The protective compounds were all lipophilic weak bases. We describe experiments that indicate that these compounds protect by inhibition of endocytic uptake of ET-18-OCH3. Sensitive cells showed rapid endocytic uptake, whereas in resistant cells, uptake was slow. Uptake of ET-18-OCH3 could be suppressed by inhibitors of endocytosis such as chloroquine, monensin, and vinblastine. We conclude that one of the principal determinants of sensitivity or resistance to ether lipids may be the rate at which cells take them up by endocytosis.
CitationRole of endocytosis in the action of ether lipids on WEHI-3B, HL60, and FDCP-mix A4 cells. 1990, 50 (23):7505-12 Cancer Res.
- Selective induction of apoptosis in cancer cells by the ether lipid ET-18-OCH3 (Edelfosine): molecular structure requirements, cellular uptake, and protection by Bcl-2 and Bcl-X(L).
- Authors: Mollinedo F, Fernández-Luna JL, Gajate C, Martín-Martín B, Benito A, Martínez-Dalmau R, Modolell M
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 1
- Dissociation of the effects of the antitumour ether lipid ET-18-OCH3 on cytosolic calcium and on apoptosis.
- Authors: Alonso MT, Gajate C, Mollinedo F, Modolell M, Alvarez J, García-Sancho J
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- The effect of ether lipid 1-O-octadecyl-2-O-methoxy-rac-glycero-3-phosphocholine and its analogues platelet activating factor and carbamyl-platelet activating factor on the biosynthesis of interleukin-6 in human thymic epithelial cells cultivated in vitro.
- Authors: Cardile V, Mascarucci P, De Simoni MG, Jiang X, Bindoni M
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Two different sites of action for platelet activating factor and 1-O-alkyl-2-O-methyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine on platelets and leukemic cells.
- Authors: Salari H, Dryden P, Howard S, Bittman R
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Inhibition of growth factor-dependent inositol phosphate Ca2+ signaling by antitumor ether lipid analogues.
- Authors: Seewald MJ, Olsen RA, Sehgal I, Melder DC, Modest EJ, Powis G
- Issue date: 1990 Aug 1