Intraluminal irradiation for the palliation of lung cancer with the high dose rate micro-Selectron.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFifty patients with inoperable, symptomatic endobronchial carcinoma were treated by a single exposure of intraluminal radiotherapy. A high dose rate afterloading system (the micro-Selectron-HDR) was used to minimise radiation exposure for staff. Haemoptysis was relieved in 24 of 28 patients, breathlessness in 21 of 33 patients, and cough in nine of 18 patients. Radiological collapse resolved in 11 of 24 patients. Treatment was given on an outpatient basis and was well tolerated. Intraluminal radiotherapy appears to offer an effective alternative to conventional fractionated external beam radiotherapy.
CitationIntraluminal irradiation for the palliation of lung cancer with the high dose rate micro-Selectron. 1990, 45 (10):765-8 Thorax
- Local determinants of response to endobronchial high-dose rate brachytherapy in bronchogenic carcinoma.
- Authors: Ofiara L, Roman T, Schwartzman K, Levy RD
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- High dose rate intraluminal radiotherapy for carcinoma of the bronchus: outcome of treatment of 406 patients.
- Authors: Gollins SW, Burt PA, Barber PV, Stout R
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- High dose rate brachytherapy for the local control of endobronchial carcinoma following external irradiation.
- Authors: Hernandez P, Gursahaney A, Roman T, Schwartzman K, Donath D, Cosio MG, Levy RD
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- High dose rate afterloading intraluminal brachytherapy in malignant airway obstruction of lung cancer.
- Authors: Chang LF, Horvath J, Peyton W, Ling SS
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 1
- HDR intraluminal brachytherapy for lung tumours--a case report.
- Authors: Wee JT, Yang ET, Lim YC
- Issue date: 1994 Jun