Comparison of the structural and cytotoxic activity of novel 2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone analogues.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEight analogues of 2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone have been synthesized and tested for cytotoxicity against four different leukemic and lymphomic cell lines. For K562 and BSM cells, the toxicity could be correlated with the ease of reduction of the compounds as determined by the one-electron reduction potentials and the electron spin resonance detection of the reduced compounds produced by the cells. The cell toxicity could also be correlated with the efficiency of the compounds to form cross-links in DNA. However, no such correlations could be observed for the L1210 and Raji cells, although the activity of the NADPH dependent reducing enzymes in these cells was similar to that in the others. It is believed that for the L1210 and Raji cells, the influx/efflux of the different compounds may be more important to the cytotoxicity than their reduction or alkylation.
CitationComparison of the structural and cytotoxic activity of novel 2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone analogues. 1990, 50 (7):2003-8 Cancer Res.
- DNA strand scission and cross-linking by diaziridinylbenzoquinone (diaziquone) in human cells and relation to cell killing.
- Authors: Szmigiero L, Erickson LC, Ewig RA, Kohn KW
- Issue date: 1984 Oct
- Free radicals in quinone-containing antitumor agents. Electrochemical reduction of diaziquone (2,5-diaziridine-3,6-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4 -benzoquinone) and two analogues.
- Authors: Gutierrez PL, Fox BM, Mossoba MM, Bachur NR
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Relationship between DT-diaphorase-mediated metabolism of a series of aziridinylbenzoquinones and DNA damage and cytotoxicity.
- Authors: Gibson NW, Hartley JA, Butler J, Siegel D, Ross D
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Biochemical activation of AZQ [3,6-diaziridinyl-2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4-benzoquinone] to its free radical species.
- Authors: Gutierrez PL, Friedman RD, Bachur NR
- Issue date: 1982 Feb
- Induction of DNA strand breaks and cross-links by 2,5-diaziridinyl-3,6-bis(carboethoxyamino)-1,4-benzoquinone in Chinese hamster ovary cells.
- Authors: King CL, Hittelman WN, Loo TL
- Issue date: 1984 Dec