AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNew ultrastructural findings are reported from two lymphomas of vacuolar signet-ring cell morphology (SR+), one of B cell and one of T cell lineage. When these lymphomas were compared ultrastructurally a difference in the relationship of the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) to the vacuole was noted, although the fine structure of the vacuoles themselves was similar and they were interpreted as giant multivesicular bodies (mvbs). Smooth ER was found near the vacuoles in both cases. Dark mvbs with a complex, reticulate form are emphasised as readily identified but hitherto unreported cell components in these tumours. A further B cell lymphoma of centroblastic/centrocytic type which was SR- was found to be rich in mvbs and may be a transitional form between SR- and SR+ lymphomas. In addition, the occurrence of mvbs has been studied quantitatively in a number of other lymphomas and in B and T lymphocytes in reactive nodes. Although increased numbers of mvbs were found in neoplastic compared with reactive lymphocytes, and in T compared with B cell lymphomas, these differences were not statistically significant. The possible roles of endoplasmic reticulum and mvbs in the generation of SR+ change are discussed.
CitationThe ultrastructure of signet-ring cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 1990, 417 (5):395-404 Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol
JournalVirchows Archiv. A, Pathological Anatomy and Histopathology
- Signet-ring cell lymphoma of T-cell origin. An immunocytochemical and ultrastructural study relating giant vacuole formation to cytoplasmic sequestration of surface membrane.
- Authors: Grogan TM, Richter LC, Payne CM, Rangel CS
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- [Paraneoplastic lymphadenopathy].
- Authors: Melikian AL, Nikitin EA, Kaplanskaia IB, Frank GA
- Issue date: 2007
- Immunophenotypic analysis of extranodal non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in the oral cavity.
- Authors: Takahashi H, Fujita S, Okabe H, Tsuda N, Tezuka F
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- Reed-Sternberg-like cells in low-grade lymphomas are transformed neoplastic cells of B-cell lineage.
- Authors: Shin SS, Ben-Ezra J, Burke JS, Sheibani K, Rappaport H
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- T-cell-rich B-cell lymphoma and lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin's disease: two closely related entities?
- Authors: Schmidt U, Metz KA, Leder LD
- Issue date: 1995 Jun