Final height in boys with untreated constitutional delay in growth and puberty.
AffiliationRoyal Manchester Children's Hospital.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo determine the natural history and psychological impact of the growth pattern in boys with constitutional delay in growth and puberty (CDGP), 43 boys presenting with short stature due to CDGP were followed up to final height. At presentation mean (SD) chronological age was 14.0 (1.9) years, bone age delay 2.7 (1.0) years, standing height standard deviation score (SDS) -3.4 (0.6), and predicted adult height SDS -1.3 (0.7). Final adult height SDS was -1.6 (0.9), measured at 21.2 (2.6) years. There was no significant difference between final height and predicted adult height, but there was a significant difference between final height and measured mid-parental height. Psychological questionnaires showed no significant difference in self esteem, marital, or employment state between the CDGP group and a control group. There was no correlation between self esteem and final height, but 25 felt their growth delay had affected their success either at school, work, or socially and 20 would rather have had treatment to advance their growth spurt. This study supports the more frequent use of active medical treatment to advance growth in boys with CDGP, and shows that although boys with CDGP reach their predicted heights, this is short for their families.
CitationFinal height in boys with untreated constitutional delay in growth and puberty. 1990, 65 (10):1109-12 Arch. Dis. Child.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Constitutional delay of growth and puberty: from presentation to final height.
- Authors: Poyrazoğlu S, Günöz H, Darendeliler F, Saka N, Bundak R, Baş F
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- [Influence of different parameters on final height of boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty].
- Authors: Krajewska-Siuda E, Małecka-Tendera E, Krajewski-Siuda K
- Issue date: 2006
- [Definitive body height in constitutional retardation of growth and puberty].
- Authors: Salerno M, De Filippo G, Di Maio S
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Final height outcome and value of height prediction in boys with constitutional delay in growth and adolescence treated with intramuscular testosterone 125 mg per month for 3 months.
- Authors: Kelly BP, Paterson WF, Donaldson MD
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Final height outcome in both untreated and testosterone-treated boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty.
- Authors: Arrigo T, Cisternino M, Luca De F, Saggese G, Messina MF, Pasquino AM, De Sanctis V
- Issue date: 1996 Sep-Oct