A low cost modification of an old Leksell stereotactic frame to allow CT-guided stereotaxy.
AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital, Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe high cost of commercial CT-compatible stereotactic frames has restricted the availability of CT-guided stereotaxy for many neurosurgical centres. However, many of these centres do possess the standard stereotactic frames for projection radiography, of which the old type Leksell frame is probably the most common. We have devised a simple and low-cost modification to an old Leksell frame to allow CT-guided stereotaxy. The nature of the modifications allow complete freedom of positioning of the frame relative to the CT scanner and coordinate transformations can be performed simply and effectively. The modified frame has been used successfully for some 18 months and the modification has now been performed at two centres in the North West Regional Health Authority. We hope this modification will allow many other centres to embark on CT-guided stereotaxy.
CitationA low cost modification of an old Leksell stereotactic frame to allow CT-guided stereotaxy. 1990, 4 (3):193-7 Br J Neurosurg
JournalBritish Journal of Neurosurgery
- A low cost modification of an old Liksell stereotaxic frame to allow CT-guided stereotaxy.
- Authors: Jones AP, Sofat A, Davis CH, Denton S, Gurusinghe NT
- Issue date: 1990
- Accuracy of true frameless stereotaxy: in vivo measurement and laboratory phantom studies. Technical note.
- Authors: Dorward NL, Alberti O, Palmer JD, Kitchen ND, Thomas DG
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- The advantages of frameless stereotactic biopsy over frame-based biopsy.
- Authors: Dorward NL, Paleologos TS, Alberti O, Thomas DG
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Stereotactic biopsy of the brain with the Leksell frame in the context of modern radiology.
- Authors: Ferry M, Cabanis E, Cosnard G, Bocquet M, Desgeorges M
- Issue date: 1988
- CT-guided stereotactic neurosurgery. A preliminary report using the Gouda frame and stereotactic system.
- Authors: Sabshin JK, Robinson F, Goodrich I, Browne ED
- Issue date: 1984 Aug