Prognostic significance of osteopenia and immunoparesis at presentation in patients with solitary myeloma of bone.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a prospective study of 32 patients with solitary myeloma of bone treated between 1974 and 1984, the median survival was 117 months. Twenty of the patients developed multiple myeloma with a median time to dissemination of 46 months. A multivariate analysis of presenting prognostic factors identified osteopenia (P less than 0.000003) and immunoparesis (P less than 0.00002) as the only independent prognosticators of overall survival. The removal of patients with osteopenia or immunoparesis at presentation identified a group of patients with 80-90% chance of surviving 10 years. Patients with either of the risk factors have a median survival of 27 months similar to patients with multiple myeloma, and should be considered for early systemic treatment.
CitationPrognostic significance of osteopenia and immunoparesis at presentation in patients with solitary myeloma of bone. 1990, 26 (3):363-71 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Upper humeral cortical thickness as an indicator of osteopenia: diagnostic significance in solitary myeloma of bone.
- Authors: Jackson A, Scarffe JH
- Issue date: 1991
- Solitary plasmacytoma of bone: clinical features, treatment and survival.
- Authors: Ellis PA, Colls BM
- Issue date: 1992 May-Aug
- Clinical features, outcome, and prognostic factors for survival and evolution to multiple myeloma of solitary plasmacytomas: a report of the Greek myeloma study group in 97 patients.
- Authors: Katodritou E, Terpos E, Symeonidis AS, Pouli A, Kelaidi C, Kyrtsonis MC, Kotsopoulou M, Delimpasi S, Christoforidou A, Giannakoulas N, Viniou NA, Stefanoudaki E, Hadjiaggelidou C, Christoulas D, Verrou E, Gastari V, Papadaki S, Polychronidou G, Papadopoulou A, Giannopoulou E, Kastritis E, Kouraklis A, Konstantinidou P, Anagnostopoulos A, Zervas K, Dimopoulos MA
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Clinical features and prognostic factors in solitary plasmacytoma.
- Authors: Finsinger P, Grammatico S, Chisini M, Piciocchi A, Foà R, Petrucci MT
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Solitary plasmacytoma of bone: treatment, progression, and survival.
- Authors: Chak LY, Cox RS, Bostwick DG, Hoppe RT
- Issue date: 1987 Nov